Logo

82 9.9 won't get out of forward

tommy54

Hi,
I've got a 9.9 that won't get out of forward. I've dropped the gearcase from the motor. I can get the shift rod to move up and down if I turn the driveshaft slowly, but the prop is always spinning, and in the same direction. I drained the gear lube, which was black, but no noticeable metal shavings. Do I need to fab up a bearing carrier puller and pull her apart? I'm willing to do it, just apprehensive and want to make sure that it is necessary.
Thanks,
Thom

You are stating that shifting it from the shiftrod right on the lower, in the down position its in forward,in the 1/2 point between fully up and down its in forward?
That sounds as though the cradle broke if its not shifting.Removing that gearcase may not need a puller.There are two bolts in the housing down inside remove them and the bearing housing will wiggle off with some pull on it.Make sure the two bolts are removed!

I took the bearing assembly out. Found the shift lever and yoke are broken where they hold the clutch dog cradle. How do I replace this part? Does it require more disassembly of the gearcase? I found the parts on iboats.com, just need to know how to replace them.
Thanks

Unscrew the shift shaft and re move it,Go in the case and grab the yoke its attached to the cradle and has a hook on the bottom wiggle it to get it free and remove it.Then reach in and remove the cradle.I forgot before you start remove the pivot pin the screw by the drain with a phillips head.If you pull the prop shaft watch closely the clutchdog has under it 2 detent balls and a spring,try to keep the clutch dog in place.Then drop the pinion and remove the Fgear.When reinstalling put the pinion in first and tip the Fgear to pass it,When you try to put the cradle in and attach it to the dog you need to use a screwdriver and carefully spread the cradle to slip on the dog.

Back