Logo

'82 470 heat exchanger 3"vs4"

wrestling_coach

Contributing Member
'82 Grady White with 470 170hp and a 3" heat exchanger. This boat is new to me. Well maintained. I will be using it in Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. Very cold body of water. Surface temps have trouble getting into the 70's even in the warmest summers. Question: Would the efficiency of the 3" exchanger, assuming all mechanical aspects are OK, be enhanced because of the cold water?

Dennis

Ok for a dumb question:

Is the water in lake Ontario brackish? what would be the gainer of running an exchanger?

As to the efficiency, the colder the water the beter it will work. The thermostat determiains the engine temp assuming all is working right. As I understand it there can be problems with exchanger down south because of the temp diferential.

Ok for a dumb question:

Is the water in lake Ontario brackish? what would be the gainer of running an exchanger?

As to the efficiency, the colder the water the beter it will work. The thermostat determiains the engine temp assuming all is working right. As I understand it there can be problems with exchanger down south because of the temp diferential.

No the water in Lake Ontario is gin clear and ice cold. The 3" heat exchanger is part of the factory cooing system. There is a 4" upgrade that can be added however.

Dennis

I wouldn't mess with it. The cold water will be an added bonus. I have a raw water cooled engine and I run in rivers and lakes with water temps in the 40's and 50's. So yes you will get better efficiency out of your heat exchanger.

Last edited:
Wrestlingcoach: did the PO upgrade the stator alt. to a belt driven alt.? If not, spend the money now for single wire 60 amp. alt. and mounting kit. You'll be happy you did while out on the big water.

Wrestlingcoach: did the PO upgrade the stator alt. to a belt driven alt.? If not, spend the money now for single wire 60 amp. alt. and mounting kit. You'll be happy you did while out on the big water.

No it is bone stock. Stator alternator, 3" heat exchanger and I am unsure about speedi sleeves on the cam seals yes or no. I have the Pertonix conversion for the distributor on the way.

Dennis

I wouldn't mess with it. The cold water will be an added bonus. I have a raw water cooled engine and I run in rivers and lakes with water temps in the 40's and 50's. So yes you will get better efficiency out of your heat exchanger.

I assumed that to be correct. Like a car in the winter vs. a traffic jam. Thanks!

Dennis

I have the Pertonix conversion for the distributor on the way.
You'll like the improved performance with it. If you have timing issues the 470 engine is known for distributor shaft wear that messes up the timing because it is installed at an angle. If you want the alt. kit check on eBay.

Back