Logo

80 HP Merc lower unit problem

D

Don Gens

" Noticed metal shavings (

" Noticed metal shavings (like pepper flakes) on oil plug. This follows a few years after an insurance repair on the lower unit after hitting a reef. Change oil every season and noticed only a few tiny slivers of metal before. With the proper manual, is servicing the lower unit within the scope of the home mechanic? Any opinion on the best manual out there? The motor is a 1983 model. Well taken care of for the entire time except for that unmarked reef incident. Prop still seems to turn smoothly without noticeable grinding. Thanks.

Don "

"Don,

You could service the

"Don,

You could service the lower unit, but you would have to purchase at least one, probably two tools for the job.

The bearing carrier is fastened with a ring nut which requires the proper tool for tightening.

You might need a tool for pulling the bearing carrier from the casing. You might be able to improvise here and avoid buying the tool. It depends on what you have available and your own creativity.

The rest of the job can be accomplished with ordinary tools and requires patience most of all.

Before yuou undertake this I would say that the metal shavings you found do not indicate that you have to rebuild the lower unit. You might get quite a few years out of it before having to rebuild.

"

" Thanks, Tonyob! I've ha

" Thanks, Tonyob! I've had smaller motors apart, but am hesitant to take this on. Your input helps a lot. I'll continue to run it like you advise. There is one local mechanic that is known for only replacing what's necessary, but he is real busy at the moment. Thanks again.

Don "

"Don.... Although Mercurys are

"Don.... Although Mercurys are not my line of expertise, I am in full agreement with Tony. In my line (OMC), it is normal for small dark fuzzy type metallic particles to collect on the lower unit drain plug magnets. OMC has even listed this in colored photos as to what is acceptable and normal, and what is not. The problem would arise when particles exist that resemble splinters and are obviously pieces that have broken off of the gears, etc.

Joe
"

Back