Logo

8.1L Gi-G Volvo oil leak in bilge

K-ram

Hi guys, I am facing a huge problem with my boat, fitted with a VP 8.1 375 hp engine. I have just put the boat in the water, but after 1 hour drive I noticed black oil in the bilge. After extensive research I thought I had found the problem (traces of oil on the water/oil heat exchanger). Could have been due to the frost last winter... Replaced the thing (4 hours of work and $250), but still oil in the bilge, even after 30 minutes drive! Funny thing though, after I added up the oil: dripstick has clear oil, but oil in the bilge is black...
Who can help me out here, I cannot find any traces of oil on the engine! One more thing: the raw water pump impeller has been replaced as well (by the dealer). could that be the problem? At this point I'm afraid that I have to lift the engine...

Last edited:
Actually, I didn't consider that, as the engine has only 125 hrs, and not been running in salt water. Would that really be a possibility, or maybe caused by frost damage?

re: "dripstick has clear oil, but oil in the bilge is black..."

mmm... do you have power steering? No oil should be black. Check belts to see if oil is leaking or dripped onto the belt... sometimes oil that hits the belt drips black since it "cleans" the worn rubber off the belt(s)...

Actually, I didn't consider that, as the engine has only 125 hrs, and not been running in salt water. Would that really be a possibility, or maybe caused by frost damage?

It could be something as simple as a leaky oil pressure transducer or pressure switch, or a loose valve cover. You may have to use a mirror or a digital camera to look at different areas of your engine in order to pinpoint the source of the leak.

Maybe you're right, I really hope so. Actually, I am sure it must be engine oil, as I had to fill up after a 4 hours run, I lost about 3 liters oil.

The problem is solved, the oil pressure sensor seemed to be leaking! Located just above the the oil cooler, it was giving the impression of a leaking oilcooler. So, spent almost $1000, just needed to tighten the sensor...
I understood this was a factory-installation issue.
Anyway, thanks for all the feedback!

Back