Logo

79 Johnson 55HP will not turn off

wcurtis

I have a 79 Johnson 55HP, it is running great & I was on a fishing trip in Cananda Last week. After operating prefect, I was fishing & it would not turn off??? the key switch would work to start the motor but it would not turn it off??? I had to pull the gas line to stop the motor. Any help would be great!!

that is no problem usually people cant get there engine to start!
looks like you have a bad key switch though never heard of that before i am sure someone will be able to help.
where abouts in canada?:)

Dog Lake, By Kingston, been going there for the last 15 years, had a good week fishing for bass, but no big one this year, biggest was about 3.5 lbs

ah sweet man i have a cottage near peterborough! great bass fishing there last year caught a 6.2 pounder. (not me my uncle)

Sounds like either a bad switch or the wire from the switch that kills the power pack is broken. I don't have a manual available now to tell which wire it is.
You should choke the engine to shut it down. By running it out of gas one carb will probably go dry before the other and you will have loss of lub to that cylinder.

daviet if the wire is broken (the ground wire that kills the engine) wouldnt it not start at all because it is already grounded? or what?

does anyone have a wire schematics for this motor???? I do have 2 broken wires but can not tellwhat they broke off of, any help would be apprecited

the ground wire on the key switch, will ground the powerpack to ground making it stop the motor. will look for a schematic.

It could be a bad power pack too i had one on a 115 one time that would not kill two of the cyl,s and it was somthing inside the pack that went bad.

Back