Logo

79 Evinrude 4 hp

brayjay

Hello all Before I give up on this old motor out I figured i would ask on here to see if anyone can help. It's a 79 evinrude 4 hp 4904D that has a spark issue. I have replaced the power pack and both coils with new and new plugs and still no spark. Also i made sure the grounds were clean. Any other ideas?

The charge coil under the flywheel ?? or less likely the sensor coil.

Dont replace parts without proper diagnosis or you will waste a fortune in beer tokens on parts you don't need

The CDI Electronics Troubleshooting Guide will help with diagnosis but you will need a peak reading meter or a DVA adapter ( easily made) .

Thanks I have the charge and sensor coil on order so hopefully one of them is the problem.

Well both coils, plugs and plug wires are brand new and tested good with a multimeter, new sensor and charge coil also tested and new power pack and still no spark lol. The only grounds that i am aware of are the one for the power pack that goes behind one of the mounting bolts and the coils have the grounds built in that the mounting bolts go through. Am I missing something? Flywheel magnet issue?

Trigger sensor was 37.4 ohms and the charge coil was 529 ohms. According to a Evenrude resistence chart these should be in spec from what i can gather but electrical is not my specialty. Also according to a youtube video the power pack can't be tested. Both coils tested good also.

Back