Logo

79 Evinrude 115 Wonbt Cooperate

stromzilla

Contributing Member
"It continues to stumble, lous

"It continues to stumble, lousy idle, very difficult to start when cold, seems to run better when it gets above 2,000 rpm, sometimes stops dead in it's tracks (1,000 rpm to nothing in a fraction of a second). When attempting to start it sometimes takes hard hits shaking the boat. The carbs are clean as can be, compression is 120/120/125/130, coils and pwr. packs have been replaced, fuel pump has been rebuilt, plugs have been replaced, ignition switch has been verified for shorts and is good. Tonight I'm pulling the plugs to verify each has adequate spark when cranking. If the spark is good could someone point me in the next direction? I'm thinking of disassembling the intake reeds to have a look. Could a bad stator be causing my issue? I did notice a little bit of a dark substance under the flywheel. Please help before I lose my mind or the motor gets hauled to the dumpster."

"The stator on that model is t

"The stator on that model is the beginning of both the battery charging system and also the ignition system.

If a substance is leaking from the rear and/or front of the stator, dripping down on the timer base and powerhead area, replace the stator.

A cracked/leaking stator in those areas would result in weak erratic ignition and eventually no ignition."

"Thank you for the feedback.

"Thank you for the feedback. I've had my eye on that stator. The problem is I keep replacing parts that give me marginal improvement but don't get at the root cause. I mentioned in the original post about looking at the intake reeds. Does anyone have any thoughts on the intake reeds as being the root cause of my poor low speed running condition? When starting, I have to use what seems to be a lot of choke and I noticed that using the choke (periodically) after it's running helps it to keep running. Does that still sound like a stator issue? And again, the carbs are clean enough to eat off of."

"Today I performed my spark te

"Today I performed my spark test and I definitely don't have any problem with spark. Sparks were flying today. However, now having the issue of ignition out of the way I was able to get focused on the fuel/intake again. While my friend was cranking the engine for me it allowed me to observe. Unfortunately I observed something I didn't really want to see...air bubbles coming from where the cylinder assy meets the crankcase, right-side, both upper and lower, and I don't think that is good. Perhaps this is why I'm having to use so much choke. I'd sure like some feedback on what I'm up against with this scenario. Thanks."

You are up against tearing the

You are up against tearing the complete engine apart!
There are NO shortcuts.
Most likely lean condition has lead to crank case combustion which again has burnt out the gel seal between cyl and crank case.
A total reseal of powerhead is on the way as a minimum.

"Is it feasible to think I can

"Is it feasible to think I can get away with a reseal of the cylinder/crankcase only? What else can cause this...bad crank seals? And if I get into resealing, what else should I take care of while I'm into the engine this deep?"

I would put in the 'budget

I would put in the 'budget' as minimum:
1 OMC/BRP ORIGINAL workshop manual
1 engine seal kit (NB: Check that crank Shaft seals are included in the kits!!)
2 carb rebuild kits
2 Thermostats
1 Water pump kit
1 New fuel pump complete!
4 piston ring sets.
1 Gel Seal II
1 OMC Sealing Compound

I have the same type of engine

I have the same type of engine and I am wondering where I can get a trim fin that mounts on the engine? Any help out there???

"Hey Morten - I'm at least

"Hey Morten - I'm at least partway there. The OMC manual I have, carbs are rebuilt and good to go, and the fuel pump has been rebuilt along with half my ignition system having been replaced."

David:
Then send the wife on

David:
Then send the wife on a 3 day holiday so You may have the kitchen bench by Yourself!!
Good Luck.

Larry:
Please start a new thread.

"What would cause the gel seal

"What would cause the gel seal or seal to go bad? Excessively high combustion temperatures was mentioned, no doubt a result of having dirty carburetor jets from poor maintenance procedures. Would age be a factor or using ethanol fuel also cause this?"

Back