Logo

79 35hp forward gear issue

Im replacing my clutch dog and forward gear on this 35EL79A motor. From my local Johnson dealer I purchased forward gear 388125 that comes with pressed in bushing. 388125 is what everyone shows as being the part I need. However, my old gear has a larger bushing by a few thousands and the new gear will not fit on my shaft. Has anyone come across this issue? Thanks for any help.
Ken

Take the gear to the dealer and ask them about it. The old gear bushing should a little bigger it's 35 yrs old a little wear is expected.

Yeah, I checked for burrs, cleaned everything up......the old bushing in the old gear still fits good and snug so its not worn...just the gear. You can look and see the new bushing is physically larger by a few thous. I called the dealer up and he said bring the shaft, gears, lower unit and water pump all in so he can look at it. Thinks maybe different lower unit than its supposed to be. Guess I will find out and let yall know.

Well the dealer says looks like everything is like its supposed to be...correct shaft etc. but wrong bushing in new part........says he will order another but probably be the same thing.....my luck

Automated warehousing / computers / automated packaging / inexperienced staff and this will happen.-------Ordered a number of O/S pistons from BRP a while ago.-------------------Found one wrong piston ring ( looper engine ) mixed in with crossflow parts in 2 out of 12 packages.----Dealer corrected it quickly.

Back