Logo

78 Evinrude 115hp new waterpump installed now no reverse?

Canadianwalleye

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone. I’ve got many threads relating to this motor so Faron this site. Here’s another.
Recently replaced the water pump (major clog inside of it). Installed it and had everything hooked up and took it out on the water. Forward works fine but when I try to put it into neutral it sometimes sticks in forwards and I have to put the hand throttle into reverse for it to go into nutral. Once in nutral I try to put it into reverse and it grinds and jumps (only tried twice as it looks and sounds violent inside). So I took the lower unit off again expecting I didn’t hook something up properly.
Didnt notice anything out of place so we messed with the linkage a bit ( the first screw needed to take off the lower unit) as we thought maybe the bolt and nut were loose (which it was and still is. This bracket has lots of play from left to right. Roughly 1/4 inch worth of gap) so we put the hand throttle into reverse and then reattached the linkage screw with that also in reverse (Lower Unit and hand throttle sync?) (its just in reverse. Not very far into reverse). Go test too see if it worked and nope. Now it seems further away from reverse ( little grind and no jump).
What should I try?
Ive got the lower unit off again (3rd time) and am going to check the gear casing too see if maybe the clutch dog has broke?!
I’m not sure what else it could be.
I see the lower units gear casing has a lot of components. Hopefully I will be able to find one or two not right.
Any ideas?
thanks everyone.

Back