Logo

78 140 Rude

kiwi_dave

Contributing Member
"Hi Guys
With all the wet we

"Hi Guys
With all the wet weather weve been having over here on the Gold Coast Australia (heavy rain on and off last couple of weeks), Ive been told by a few Old Salts that pouring 1-2 cups of metho into a tank of fuel will assist in burning off any excess water/condensation. Can anyone comment ? will this have any detrimental effects on Engine ?. Thanks in advance ....Dave"

"Better to have a good water s

"Better to have a good water seperator/fuel filter in line and check it if you suspect water is getting into the fuel. I prefer to see if water is present and how much. Rather than dumping something in to get rid of it. By doing that you will never know if you have a problem that si getting worse, until its too late."

"Here in the US we have a prod

"Here in the US we have a product called ISO-Heet intended to "dry" wet gasoline. The primary ingredient in this solution was isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Essentially, this is just rubbing alcohol.

From this MSDS listing: http://www.imperialinc.com/msds0055120.shtml it appears Iso-Heet is 99% IPA. It comes in 12 oz (350mL) bottles and each bottle is suppose to treat up to 20 gallons.

I had to use this on my '79 Rude 140 last year because of water in my fuel tank. I have a water separating filter but it seems I kept sucking up water and getting poor performance. After running about 4 tanks with Iso-Heet in each one I finally got the moisture out.

KJ"

"i just ran some in my truck ,

"i just ran some in my truck , it works good.
give it a try it wont hurt anything"

"that much alcohol,in that man

"that much alcohol,in that many tanks of gas..is not good.....w/a substantial amount of water,..the proper way to deal w/it,is to get all u can,OUT,...then,treat,the remaining.."

"JWB,
I did drain the tank as

"JWB,
I did drain the tank as best I could prior to a boating vacation, but there seemed to be residual moisture I couldn't reach. It was on that trip when I had to run so many bottles of ISO-HEET through it. I knew it wasn't the best thing to do, but it was my only option with limited tools and facilities at the time.

I finally nailed down my problem to the tank vent. It was positioned to where it would get a bunch of bow spray on a regular basis and even though I had the vent hose run vertically to prevent water draining back into the tank but somehow it still was getting in there. During the trip I replaced the vent with a different style and that seemed to help keep more water from getting in. Currently the tank is positioned under the bow of the boat. This spring I intend to move tank back to the stern where the vent will be in the motor well area and won't get all that water anymore.

KJ"

"Moving the vent to the stern

"Moving the vent to the stern area is wise...remember that shifting the fuel weight to the stern may cause the boat to handle differently. (depending on how much your moving) I wish I could get a bit more weight more forward in my boat. It rides better with more people up front in choppy water. The extra weight up front reduces pounding. I don't like tanks right up in the bow, but don't like them all the way aft either."

"Unfortunately, placing the ta

"Unfortunately, placing the tank in the stern is my only option. Another problem I've been fighting is lack of fuel flow from the tank, so that is another reason to move the tank aft. Currently I have almost 20' of 3/8 fuel hose from the tank pickup to the fuel pump. That's quite a distance for that little pulse pump to pull fuel even when I use the primer bulb. So, I'm hopeful that moving the tank back will eliminate that problem.

KJ"

"i tell ya--evertime i see,a p

"i tell ya--evertime i see,a post about 77-78 john/rude---i have to spk out-----

that,is the single most overhauled eng,i have ever dealt w/in 32 yrs.....now,they r great mtrs...but they org,came,w/high-ring pistons.....huge mistake....
i bet,i have overhauled 75 of those...most,in the early 80's."

"Mine was overhauled in 2004.

"Mine was overhauled in 2004. The engine was shot when I bought the boat so I don't what problems led to it toasting. I had to replace one head because it had steel "shot" all through it and it was pitted. So, my best guess is the rings let go on one of the cylinders.

Either way it has all 4 pistons new and runs well.

KJ"

"KJ,
Purchased mine 12 month

"KJ,
Purchased mine 12 months ago after it sat for 2 years, anyway, after doing port deflectors, thermostats and water pump, and good power packs, shes been a ripper (only been sweet for last 3 months), Are there any little particular tricks or ticks to keep an eye out for, to keep running sweet?. After all the initial overheat and starting probs, Im to bloody scared to touch her.. LOL, I start her up for 5-10 mins every weekend, (Saturday morning at 7.00am If I dont take her out)..LOL , Fuel her, Oil her , and check her Batteries, Im just waiting for something to bloody well bugger up, ( Fingers Crossed ) LOL! cheers Dave"

Back