Logo

77 Stinger 75 hp

Dingo04

I bought a boat from an old man. He told me that he just had the motor gone through. When he gave the receipts for the work that been done to the motor it was done back in 2019 not this past spring. I got home and drained the oil from lower unit and there is some metal on the drain screw. Also the shift cable slips because the cap that locks the shift and throttle cable is missing. I solved that issue. Now when I tilt the outboard up and lock it in place has leak's out. I'm not certain but I don't think it's supposed to do that. My neighbor on the other seems to think otherwise and it's normal. My questions, is it normal for gas to leak from the carbs, and what years would a 20 inch lower unit fit my 1977 75Hp Stinger? When I was first researching parts for this motor I recalled that there were several years that would fit. Though I'm uncertain because I can no longer find the site with that information. Thank you for any help that anybody can give me.

I bought a boat from an old man. He told me that he just had the motor gone through. When he gave the receipts for the work that been done to the motor it was done back in 2019 not this past spring. I got home and drained the oil from lower unit and there is some metal on the drain screw. Also the shift cable slips because the cap that locks the shift and throttle cable is missing. I solved that issue. Now when I tilt the outboard up and lock it in place has leak's out. I'm not certain but I don't think it's supposed to do that. My neighbor on the other seems to think otherwise and it's normal. My questions, is it normal for gas to leak from the carbs, and what years would a 20 inch lower unit fit my 1977 75Hp Stinger? When I was first researching parts for this motor I recalled that there were several years that would fit. Though I'm uncertain because I can no longer find the site with that information. Thank you for any help that anybody can give me.
Fuel leaking like that is normal. You can replace the air box gasket and make sure the hose is connected to it to help mitigate that.

Thank you for helping me understand all of that. Now is there any reason why my impeller will continue come off the halfmoon key and make a thumping sound. I've taken it out a few times and each time after an hour or three it starts making the noise. I get it back home and drop the lower unit and the key is almost all the way out. It did it again today, each time I fix something I run it out to the lake and test run it, each time I've had to reset the impeller. Any thoughts on what may causes this issue?

Thank you for helping me understand all of that. Now is there any reason why my impeller will continue come off the halfmoon key and make a thumping sound. I've taken it out a few times and each time after an hour or three it starts making the noise. I get it back home and drop the lower unit and the key is almost all the way out. It did it again today, each time I fix something I run it out to the lake and test run it, each time I've had to reset the impeller. Any thoughts on what may causes this issue?
doesnt your motor have a stainless half moon key? Should fit in the slot and not come out.

The shaft with the woodruff key uses an impeller with a slot.-----They simply do not come out !!-----Something is wrong.

I do not feel any movement in the drive shaft, I believe that's what it is called, when I drop the lower unit. Every time I take the boat out to test it always the impeller has moved and the key is partially out. Since it only goes on one direction I don't believe it's possible to install it incorrectly. Or perhaps I'm not looking in the right location for the problem, any ideas to where to check? I don't feel anything loose or have any excess play.
Thank you

According to the part number yes I do. Though that wasn't the case in the first 2 impellers that I changed out. Also I will admit this last impeller is after market, I've since ordered an OEM and currently awaiting it to arrive.

It is possible that you have a newer lower unit installed on your motor.----Or a newer driveshaft.----Without pictures I can not give good advice !!

Ok, I will get some this afternoon, thank you everyone for all the ideas and suggestions. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, this is the first outboard I've ever had to deal with. So I'm green as grass when comes to this stuff. Once again thank everyone for all of your help.

It is possible that you have a newer lower unit installed on your motor.----Or a newer driveshaft.----Without pictures I can not give good advice !!
I've tried several times to upload the images without any luck. I may have sold the woodruff key issue. the one that was in there was to small and was very loose, with a lot of free movement. Though I'm disappointed not being able to upload my pictures so you can have a better look.

Check your PMs. I will upload your pics if you email them to me.
I just did my 76' 70HP. The key was really tight and hard to get together.
I actually had to use the original key as the new one was too tight and a slightly different shape.

Jim

Those pictures tell us nothing about the key arrangement for the water pump.----This should be simple to figure out in my opinion !!

Yes, I realized that after I put the lower unit back together, and re-read the post. I apologize for failing to completely read thoroughly and get what was asked for. I did change out the woodruff key because it had a lot of play in both slots on the shaft and the impeller. I will take it apart and get the pictures that you need to better advise me. I really appreciate all of your help.

What is the OD of the driveshaft?
What is the ID of the impeller?
They should be almost the same.
Every impeller I have replaced was very tight. No room for anything to come apart.

Jim

So I mic both the impeller and drive shaft and the impeller seems to be the correct on .I took some pictures of the impeller and woodruff key, I believe you can see the wear on the original key. While putting the pump housing back together, I spun the drive shaft and noticed a flat spot, the propeller would spin easily and then catch. I believe I definitely found another issue or the main cause of the noise. May also explain the problem with the water pump.

Back