Logo

77 Evinrude 85 h.p , will not idle

any suggestions ? I'm pulling the boat out tomorrow, I just got a cheap transom trolling motor to get it out of the water

also while I have it out of the water and looking at the reeds I am going to take the carbs back apart and clean them once again also taking the head out because I am installing a tell tale so I can see the pistons and replace the gasket while replacing the impeller because of my dummy of a cousin

So I am going to try to pull the boat out between storms today, I will be tapping for a pee hole so I will replace all the gaskets also replace all the reeds and gaskets , it might also be am ignition problem how would I go about testing this, I've been trying to research as much as I can as I'm hoping to get as much time on the boat as the season dwindles, please look a couple posts ago to see everything done so far, I dont want to start replacing stator and power pack when it is not the problem, everything on outboard appears to be original

Getting to 100 posts on a motor usually indicates that there is a simple problem with the motor that has not surfaced yet.-----Trouble shooting is a " lost art " in my opinion.

Getting to 100 posts on a motor usually indicates that there is a simple problem with the motor that has not surfaced yet.-----Trouble shooting is a " lost art " in my opinion.

Um Humm!... And usually my reasoning for disappearing.

A mechanic, under a dealership, with a engine so difficult to diagnose/repair? His future? Apparently none of us are qualified either?

I've been trying to diagnose , I can diagnose a car no problem, an outboard is a little different I just need a little push in the right direction as I have tried everything you guys have said besides a power pack and stator which I am looking into , sorry If I pissed you guys off for some reason , most of the posts are from me telling more and more information trying to get sent in direction that helps me fix it I have spent most of the past month looking at other threads , I just got the boat out of water today so I could start ripping apart and testing

So I still have not found the problem ignition everything seems to be fine I bought a whole new gasket kit and will be replacing every gasket and if that is not the problem I'm sure I will figure it out during this process , also found a company right down the road in wisconsin that has all original omc manuals not the crappy clymer or solec manual it is " ken cook company" they have every and all manuals for about 40 dollars just in case anyone is looking for a real service manual for their engine

In case anyone cares , which judging by the comments I've last received doesnt sound like it , it was one of the reeds, and a gasket

Back