Logo

"76" Model Evinrude 40hp shift issue

Manosteel

I'm having a problem with shifter sticking in forward. I've put oil in lower unit and it seemed to help for a little bit but now has gotten worse.
The motor is connected to controls not tillered. Their is an adjustment on the cable at the shifter leaver could it need adjusting some to remedy the problem? any help would be appreciated. Also when it does stick I cannot shift manually even whemn I disconnect shifting cable.

When did the problem start? Was there rust, or contaminated oil in the lower unit? Does the shift cable work freely when disconnected from the motor? Make sure the shifting components are greased and oiled, which.....depending what you find.....includes the cable itself as well as the workings inside the control. If there is no problem with the control and cable.....as you seem to indicate, then just make sure the moving components from the (motors) cable end and down to the shift rod, are all free and lubricated. If that is all checking out, then we have to suspect that something is wrong inside the gearcase......likely rust related.

Stick only when in forward? Or when trying to shift out of neutral? If the latter, is the motor running? If not running, you may have to twirl the prop to allow the gears to mesh.

If actually sticking in forward and you can't move it, broken 316715 clevis under the powerhead. It is banging up against the wall of the exhaust housing.

Last edited:
Did you remove the oil drain plug on the front / very bottom of the gearcase ?-----Or did you by chance remove a philipps screw shifter pin to drain the oil ??

That is a possibility but he said it worked "good" for awhile. What did the substance you drained out of the gear case resemble? Was it filled with water, white color, or any metallic looking material?

Back