Logo

76 evinrude trim advice

Lit549

I have a 1976 115 evinrude on my 94 javelin .. I need help identifying what style of trim pump it has, I believe there is two it could be (I think)..Also for some reason the trim works fine but if I try to trim it at speed the force of engine just keeps it down..It is just a tilt setup (no trim switch), I keep getting air in it and it does leak a little oil from one of the rams (plug on cylinder)..Any suggestions?

Guess I should reword my post, I know it's tilt only but should it be able to tilt up a little under power(without going back down?)

Well---???----It is not a trim unit !!-------It only hold up at very low power settings.----It slams down when throttle is put beyond idle.

Well---???----It is not a trim unit !!-------It only hold up at very low power settings.----It slams down when throttle is put beyond idle.
I KNOW IT'S NOT A TRIM UNIT!!!!
I said that in my 1st post, if it isn't suppose to work under power, why did it hold just fine at one time??

I KNOW IT'S NOT A TRIM UNIT!!!!
I said that in my 1st post, if it isn't suppose to work under power, why did it hold just fine at one time??

There is nothing said in any of the above that your "Tilt Only" unit ever held "just fine" while underway. You are being told by experts in the field, in not so many words perhaps, that it is impossible for the "Tilt Only" unit to hydraulically hold in any tilt position when the engine is running in the forward gear mode... it simply isn't designed for that purpose. Originally it was designed simply because the engines finally reached the point where they were too heavy to be tilted by small built people... and units such as yours were built so as to be easily tilted for trailering, etc

i cant figure out how to upload a pic..I can say it has the tilt pimp and resevoir mounted on the transom right next to the hydraulic cylinders..I think its a presolite?

i cant figure out how to upload a pic..I can say it has the tilt pimp and resevoir mounted on the transom right next to the hydraulic cylinders..I think its a presolite?

If it has 2 external cylinders it is a trim unit.----Make sure release valve is closed.----Or you need to reseal the trim cylinders.

If it has 2 external cylinders it is a trim unit.----Make sure release valve is closed.----Or you need to reseal the trim cylinders.
Well i do apologize. Guess what confuses me is I'm thinking about a trim setup as what I had on my 79 searay, had a 3 buttons, one in the middle was for trim when you wanted to plaNE on the water better. This boat just has up and down and it's a bass boat, again I do apologize!

Again I believe you also misunderstand the function of those 3 buttons for a Mercury / Mercruiser.------One button for down and one button for up.------But there was a limit switch for maximum trim.-----So to get full up for putting it on the trailer you had to use 2 buttons.

Again I believe you also misunderstand the function of those 3 buttons for a Mercury / Mercruiser.------One button for down and one button for up.------But there was a limit switch for maximum trim.-----So to get full up for putting it on the trailer you had to use 2 buttons.[/QUOTE
True, it's been awhile since I had that boat but yea your right..I guess I need to seal the rams cause the boat just struggles at speed without being able to raise it a little..Drives me nuts..where is the screw you referred to, is it the manual release screw?

i can not figure out how to load pics on here, it just wont upload..i went a drove the boat after bleeding some air in the pump,it holds alot better but still falls under heavier accelorations..I cant find any leaks anywhere..
Where's the pic of it ???

i can not figure out how to load pics on here, it just wont upload..i went a drove the boat after bleeding some air in the pump,it holds alot better but still falls under heavier accelorations..I cant find any leaks anywhere..

You've stated time & time again that the unit is a tilt unit only... and you've been told time and time again that the above is its normal function. What is your problem?

You've stated time & time again that the unit is a tilt unit only... and you've been told time and time again that the above is its normal function. What is your problem?
No actually I was told it is just tilt, then tilt and trim, no biggie, I'll figure it out.Ain't worth arguing about..

Last edited:
Back