Logo

76 Evinrude 25 HP Smoke

I have had a 76 Evinrude that I have been working on for the past couple of years and when I ran it a couple of days ago, I seemed to have more smoke than I would like at low speeds. This is what I have done so far.

Rebuilt Carb
New points and condensers
New Coils
New Fuel pump
New fuel lines
New spark plugs (champions)

Everything was good, It started right up. Idled pretty good. Warmed up just fine. I made some adjustments to the low speed jet and that went well. It seemed a little sluggish on acceleration and seemed to sputter a little but when I got to WOT it took off and got me and the wife up on plane and it was screaming down the lake. I did not have any way to check my RPM's or speed, but a buddy was pacing me and said we were doing about 22MPH. So, here is the issue. when I brought the idle down there was a LOT of white smoke maybe gray, but not blue or black. Coming back up on throttle, it would sputter a little then eventually take off again. When I slowed down, there was all the white smoke again. When we got back to the dock, I took the hood off, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and I was able to touch the thermostat cover without burning my hand. It was hot but not uncomfortable to the touch. My questions are:

1. Could my float be set wrong and I am overwhelming the carb at low speeds and high speeds it actually using the fuel in the bowl fast enough.

2. Is the smoke always there and just don't notice it when I am traveling faster.

3. Could it be steam and be a water/cooling problem.
I put a lower unit from another motor on this one, but I am not 100 percent sure of the condition of the impeller. It was moving water pretty good so I decided to try it out. The original one for this motor had a busted cavitation plate. Or did I miss the water pick up tube when I was installing the lower unit. There was water coming out of the exhaust port though.?!?!

4. I was reading another forum and somebody said something about an air leak effecting the fuel delivery system.......which reminds me, the bulb never seems to be fully hard while I was running it, and I pumped it a couple of times and it seemed to sputter a little. then recover.

Sorry it's kinda lengthy, just have done quite a bit to this motor and don't want to ruin it. I have a lot of questions......this is my first outboard.

Sounds like you need to revisit float and float valve.----Nozzle gasket in place ?---New water pump impeller ?----Was the copper tube INSTALLED in the exhaust housing before you installed the lower unit ?

I was going to take off both the carb and lower unit for inspection. Is the copper tube the part that fits into the top of the pump housing?

I remember having a hard time lining that up so its worth checking again. I have some things to look at. Would either of these things cause excessive smoke?

Back