Logo

76 AQ130D electrical issue

justinmt

I recently replaced a 75ohm balast resistor on my 76 Bayliner which is not a factory part and couldn't find one even close to having that much resistance so I replaced it with what I could find. Boat will not turn off and is pulling enough juice through the ignition switch to keep running even with the key off. Ignition switch is fine and I even tried a toggle switch in addition to the ignition switch, same result. Anyone know where I could find a 75ohm balast resistor?

You can get rid of the points, condenser and resistor if you install an electronic conversion kit and a coil with 3 ohms internal resistance. The problem with not shutting off sounds like a separate issue.

I'm not sure if the 130D is similar to the OHC 4's, but often the NO Shut-Down issue is a result of the Ignition circuit/alternator interface! The Ignition circuit (on some of these) supplies current to the Alternator relay or field.

If equipped with an OEM resistor (actually a diode I believe), and if it has failed, a "back-feed" of current may continue to excite the Ignition..... therefor the key switch will not shut down the engine.
It may be shown in this image........, difficult to see.

Suggestion:
If you were to install a Pertronix kit, resolve this issue first....., check your progressive ignition advance...., get her running as well as you can.
This way if you run into an issue with the Hall Effect sensor and/or magnetic wheel alignment, you'll hopefully be dealing with one issue only.... rather than several un-knowns!
Be sure to re-set BASE timing advance and to check TA when done.

Back