Logo

76 70HP water pump question

jim18611865

Regular Contributor
See picture. I just want to make sure the impeller fins are the right way.
The drawing on my fixture was opposite, but I didn't write down if it was top view or bottom view.
All OMCs are the same correct?

Paper gasket first (with gasket sealer)
Metal plate next
Then housing with o-ring. I don't want to screw this up any more.
Should there be gasket sealer on the o-ring as well. This kit is different than the original. Upgrades I am sure.
wp7670HP.jpg

Thanks
Jim

You are the best.

I did three pumps in the last three weeks, and the last one I think I put in backwards.
I will have to recheck that one.

Jim

Two more questions before I put the lower back on.
1 What OMC engineer did you mechanics piss off?
2 I could not use the new impeller key. It stuck out way to far to get the impeller over it.
The old one was tapered on the edges so it set deeper in the drive shaft making it easier to get the impeller slot over it.
Was this a mistake?
I am glad there was no one within hearing distance.

Thanks again.
Jim

Did you get factory parts ?----Was the old impeller exactly the same as the new one ----Pictures of these parts ?-----The OMC people built some wonderful motors in the 1960's---70's----80's-------Motors that ran well and were easy to maintain by the average person.----The motor is 45 years old.-----Many newer motors are already on the junk piles !!------Not sure how you came up with your opinion.

Last edited:
It was a factory kit purchased from this site. 438579.
Many differences. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0438579

New kit has an O-ring on the housing, old one did not. (This was the bugger in assembling. Gravity was not my friend, grease was.)
New kit has a steel removable liner in the housing. Old one did not.
New key was slightly different so I used the old one.
New kit had top steel plate in the housing. Old one did not.
New kit had a paper gasket, none on the old unit.
Impellers looked identical except the new one's key slot wasn't all the way through.
You could put it in upside down if you were not paying attention.

Thanks again.

Jim

I agree these motors are fantastic. This 76' was purchased as a spare for when my 73' died.
It really never died, just slowly faded. Got 7+ good years out of it, and I doubted I would get one or two.
I would have to go completely over it, so I decided to do the newer one. 5 extra HP will be nice too.

This one is in fantastic cosmetic shape. I bought it about 7-8 years ago, mounted to my boat, started it and winterized it.
It has been in the garage on a rack ever since. I already went over the top 1/2. 100% new fuel system including 3 new carb kits.

Jim

OK, got it mounted to the boat. Got it all adjusted and idling nice and low.
One question. Is this normal for water to be coming out of this area (red circle)?
I don't remember this on my 73' 65HP. It was flowing out both sides.
It was also coming out in the two places it was supposed to.
water.PNG

Thanks
Jim

Back