Logo

76 55hp Johnson

hal5778

Hello I have a 76 55hp Johnson that has no spark I have done the following tests and replacements but the no spark issue remains.

First I disconnected the kill wire (black/yellow) from the power pack but still no spark
I replaced the power pack being cautious not to allow any power to contact the black/yellow wire still no spark
I removed both the stator and trigger and tested with an Ohm meter and all looked acceptable
I turned engine over and checked for power to both the trigger,stator and coil connections on the power pack and no power was found

I dont know where to go from here I have been told that both the trigger and stator although they check okay with ohn meter could still be faulty but thats an expensive guess if not the problem. One concern I have is I have not figured out a way to check the power pack installed it is a used one but was said to have come off a running motor? Thanks for any help electrical issue are not my best trait

Charge battery.------Load test battery , even if new.-----Take starter apart for ohm check on armature , inspection.----Perhaps new brushes.-----The motor has to turn over at 250 RPM or so.-----If not there will be no spark.------Note.-----The most common reply here is ----" my motor cranks just fine "-----And 12 volts from the battery is not used to make spark for the plugs !!

Charge battery.------Load test battery , even if new.-----Take starter apart for ohm check on armature , inspection.----Perhaps new brushes.-----The motor has to turn over at 250 RPM or so.-----If not there will be no spark.------Note.-----The most common reply here is ----" my motor cranks just fine "-----And 12 volts from the battery is not used to make spark for the plugs !!

Hello I have fully charged the battery and although I have not done anything with the starter I have pulled the plugs to allow the motor to turn over easier. I am sure it is turning at least 250rpm and still no spark

Back