Logo

75hp mercury 2 stroke not starting

Hi guys I've been given a 75hp mercury 2 stroke 3 cylinder its not started in about 3 years so it's had new plugs fresh fuel im turning the key and nothing is happening so I've tried crossing the solenoid and its slowly turning over but thats about it could it be a power issue I've got a voltage meter but what should I check because I'm not very clued up on boat engines only basic stuff any help would be appreciated

Pull the plugs, shifter in N. Grasp the flywheel with your hands. Can you rotate it rather easily?

Have your battery load checked.

Remove all your electrical connections between the battery and the engine, black and red cabling, and the starter to engine wire and solenoid to starter wire. Clean up all the contacts till shiny and reinstall and tighten.

If you pass the first test, get some Sea Foam Aerosol and squirt it in the carb venturis and the spark plug holes while rotating the flywheel with the other hand. While the Sea Foam is in your hand, lubricate the Bendix and starter shaft both with the Bendix in the relaxed position and manually rotate it up to the flywheel ring gear and lubricate the bottom of the shaft where the Bendix was resting.

Hit the start switch and see if it spins up fast.....500 or so RPM.

If you pass that, get yourself a reliable pressure gauge and check engine compression. If you get 120 with all cylinders close together you are good to go. Reinstall and connect spark plugs and wires.

Put fuel to the engine, prime till you get a hard bulb (if you can't carb-fuel line problems), advance throttle off idle, half way to WOT but be ready to pull it back to idle if it lights off. Turn the key to ON and push in and hold for 15 seconds (priming the intake....aka choking) or so and roll the key on over to Start. What happens?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the info im going to do all that hopefully on the weekend and hope it fires up also ive tried rotating the fly wheel it does feel quite stiff by hand thanks again

Back