Logo

74 Evinrude questions

FishingJohn

Good day all,

I recently purchased a boat with an older Evinrude on it and I have very little knowledge about outboards and have a few questions and surely more in the future so please forgive my pure ignorance if I ask a "duh" question.

Motor is a 1974 Evinrude 70442M 70hp with a jet drive.

First off the throttle controls are backwards as in reverse goes forward and when trying to go reverse the motor dies. Runs perfectly fine forward at low speeds and WOT but putting in reverse "forward" kills the motor. With this being a jet drive I'm wondering if it's supposed to do that? Do these old jet drives even have reverse? Just wondering if this is a feature and not a bug.

As far as the controls being backwards after researching for hours I've found that I guess on older motors some of them are supposed to be like that? As in for many years it was normal for boats to pull back for more throttle and push forward for less/reverse. Again just wondering if this is a bug or a feature.

Also the electric choke doesn't work so in order to get it started I have to remove the cover and manually choke it each time I first put it in the water. Not sure where to begin troubleshooting the electric choke.

I'm relatively mechanically inclined but outboards are brand new to me as are jet drives so I'd like to understand how this thing works and how to diagnose common issues and whatnot before I go too far on the rivers with it.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 22
Well I guess having the choke solenoid missing from the motor would explain the electric choke not working...Figuring things out slowly but steadily

No -----The standard Evinrude control has always been forward for forward !!------But here is skinny.-----The 73 and 74 model lower units shifted opposite to newer motors.-----The 74 model outboard shifted to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.------Later models shifted to FORWARD with an up motion of the shift rod.----This was done with LINKAGES on the motor.-----Nothing to do with the control box.

No -----The standard Evinrude control has always been forward for forward !!------But here is skinny.-----The 73 and 74 model lower units shifted opposite to newer motors.-----The 74 model outboard shifted to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.------Later models shifted to FORWARD with an up motion of the shift rod.----This was done with LINKAGES on the motor.-----Nothing to do with the control box.

Thanks for the explanation. So just to be clear on my 74 model me pulling backwards on the throttle in order to go forward is normal for this model year?

Hi welcome to the forum.......NO, somebody switched lower units......put something 1975 or newer.....this happens quite often, either have to get the correct lower unit, or come up with the linkage to reverse the motion up above at the end of your shift cable. These kits may be available....try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN.... Mike, Dan, or Teresa....218 682 2331.

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forum.......NO, somebody switched lower units......put something 1975 or newer.....this happens quite often, either have to get the correct lower unit, or come up with the linkage to reverse the motion up above at the end of your shift cable. These kits may be available....try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN.... Mike, Dan, or Teresa....218 682 2331.

Oh ok. Yeah the lower unit was swapped over with a jet drive so it looks like they put the wrong one on there. I'll have to take it over to the local boat shop and see what the options are. Luckily virtually everyone here runs jet drives from the same company so I'm sure the shop has seen this problem before.

I guess simply seeing a motor run hooked up to a hose and checking the compression is only part of the validation process before buying. I should have put it in the water. My fault for trusting people I suppose.

Back