Logo

74 9.9 not getting water

Brandon1976

Have a 74 Johnson 9.9. What is not getting water change the impeller housing everything for the pump. Still was not getting water remove the power head change the grommet cleaned out the water opening. Blow air and water through the head and put water in it went in one side came out the other. Put it all back together still not getting water. Change the head gasket also and the water gasket for the thermostat motor is running hot any thoughts

I can not see your test bucket.-----A common mistake is not enough water in it.-----Water must be 6" above impeller.

When I had the lower unit off I did test the pump and I wasn't getting a good volume of water. Took it apart just to make sure the fins were going in the right direction. Unless I'm looking at some kind of a seal problem on the water pump. Second time around I did end up putting some gasket sealer around it to help with the seal but still ended up with same results on the test. I've changed quite a few but this one's is just got me a little flustered

When I had the lower unit off I did test the pump and I wasn't getting a good volume of water. Took it apart just to make sure the fins were going in the right direction. Unless I'm looking at some kind of a seal problem on the water pump. Second time around I did end up putting some gasket sealer around it to help with the seal but still ended up with same results on the test. I've changed quite a few but this one's is just got me a little flustered
Is the drive pin In?

Back