Logo

73 rude 65hp triumh

NC Man

I am having difficulties getting the motor to run properly. wont accelerate to full speed. Boggs out if throttle applied.
Compression 118 all 3 cylinders
Blue spark at 1/2 inch. Plugs fire blue also.
fuel pump proper pressure.
carbs look like new. air flows thru high and low orifices.
fuel in bowl verified by drain plug.
acts like running on one cylinder then tunes in 2nd. after less than minute back to one .
does have popping sound in carbs if throttled up and not in gear.
kinda at a loss here where to go next.
ohh. middle plug dry when pulled. top and bottom appear wet, does not ignite with lighter.
help plz.

Is it ingesting water into the cylinders? (That's bad).

If you are throttling it up in neutral, are you doing that by opening the carburetor throttle shafts? That will make it lean sneeze (pop back through intake).

Thank you for replying.
I have not seen water come out of a cylinder. just wet looking plugs on top and bottom cylinders.
Yes I was using hand throttle via carb shaft rod.

How's it act when you use the throttle in the boat ??

It takes off like one cylinder.. in a minute it will miss and sputter till second cylinder comes in. Run on 2 less than a minute then go back to one. If you throttle down to idle and throttle up it will die. A very slow throttle up will give you one cylinder. All this in the lake under load. On muffs it does good but we know that's not a good test.

Those motors had a bad problem with water ingestion, the reason for my suggestion. Hopefully, it is not the problem, but something to consider. All I can do is suggest it, I can't check it out for you from here.

Those motors had a bad problem with water ingestion, the reason for my suggestion. Hopefully, it is not the problem, but something to consider. All I can do is suggest it, I can't check it out for you from here.

I understand and apreciate all suggestions. What is the best way to check this? I have built many auto engines and a few Nerds. New to the rude family.

I understand and apreciate all suggestions. What is the best way to check this? I have built many auto engines and a few Nerds. New to the rude family.

I am not going to tell you how I do it because it is dangerous. You could set yourself afire. In fact, I almost did, during a moment of carelessness. What's the old saying, don't do as I do, do---??

Back