Logo

~73 Mercury Suddenly 850 losses RPM After a Period of Time

Hi:

I have an old Mercury 850 from about 1973. It ran great for about an hour. Then it started... It would come out of the hole great and run great for a hundred yards or so, then would suddenly bog and lose RPM. Maybe losing a cylinder? I'm no expert but that's what it felt like.
Funny thing was that I would stop the boat and start all over again, and same thing over and over again. Out of the hole and run great for a minute, then bog.

It always starts and idle beauty, even when I'm having my troubles. I had actually checked the compression before and after my trip. I checked the top 3 cylinders but can't get my gauge on the bottom one because I can't get around the bottom cowling. I get around 120psi on each. The plugs look a little wet. Temperatures are fine, I could put my hand anywhere on the engine. I was running it a bit hard before I had trouble, but I wouldn't say excessively.

I'm gonna go back to the lake tonight and see if I can go any amount of time without trouble, but I was wondering if anyone might have some ideas before I head out.

I feel like this is some kind of temperature related issue because I went some time before having trouble. I think I can rule out the plugs because the issue would come and go. Even without knowing the bottom hole compression I feel confident in it because the engine can run sweet, and again; the problem comes and goes. I can't totally rule out fuel, I'm betting on spark.

I'm not too familiar with Mercury engines but have a bunch of time wrenching on an old Johnson crossflow. I feel like after this problem, that should about do it - I've had every single possible boat problem a person can have. Man! Old boat engines!

Hi. Yes, I think we got it. On checking it out, the pump didn't look rebuildable, but it and the inline fuel filter looks good as far as I can tell. But I spliced in a bulb to be sure.

When I took it out last night it was more or less the same thing. Ran great for about half an hour, then the bogging started. But; as soon as it bogged, I gave the bulb a little squeeze and she picked right back up again. I will fiddle around a little bit to see what's up with it exactly, but I'm not too worried. Thanks so much for helping me narrow it right down. Coulda wasted alot of time chasing a non existent electrical issue.

Awesome forum, awesome community. Thanks again.

Back