Logo

73 50 Evinrude No Water

Pee tube I can do, was thinking of that. I'll put it up high on the thermostat cover. The big rubber seal looks good I think, but I really didn't pay much attention to it. So if it leaks, exhaust pressure gets into the relief holes on the pump housing? Hmm..that would make sense, exhaust under pressure takes the place of water, hence no water or anything up to head. When I hold the muffs on tight, you can 'see' the water level gradually rise in the midsection, by where the water starts to come out of the various joints, holes, etc. Held on tight enough, and long enough, water evenually dribbles out the exhaust relief ports. Still not enough to cool the block. The gear case I don't mind pulling, the powerhead isn't too bad, but not the exhaust collector again!!!

Anyways..what happens if I take some pressure off the relief spring? I guess if the exhaust is getting into the pump, it wouldn't matter. Hang on, I ran the engine thermostat cover off, without the relief valve and thermostat, and still had no water. So, it has to be down at the pump level. But, with all the holes that water comes out of on the midsection, and the relief hole just below the water intakes, I wouldn't think the exhaust pressure would build up enough to impede the flow of water?? Or does it just cause air bubbles in the pump, screwing up the water flow?

Never mind frustrated, how about confused now too? Or am I just overthinking??

Bill

The pee hose must be taken BEFORE water enters the cylinder block, which is the exhaust cover or the channel on top. Remember to use the 'original' nipple in the outlet. Too big, and the water pressure gets too little to open the spring. When testing water pump functions, throw away the muffs and use a barrel! Water level preferably some inches above the water pump at least. A certain circulation is needed in the pump or it will start to 'boil', exhaust or no exhaust!

anyone know about the 8 HP Evinrude cooling system? I am not getting any water out the pee hole. Changed the pump today and nothing still? I feel air pressure there, but no water. Checked the channel to the pump and its good, and ran some weedeater line up and still nothing. Will the thermostat stop the water from the pee hole? I ran it for about five minutes with water in the inlet, but I am nervous that I might burn it up, what am I doing wrong?

Back