Logo

72 evinrude 65 hp

jcarpenter88

(Model #65ESL-72S)I am

(Model #65ESL-72S)I am having a problem with a miss at higher speeds and suspect the one of the coil arcing to ground. I have removed all three coils to test with the ohm meter and this is what i have found: when checking across the wire going to the power pack and the wire that would be grounded to the head they all three check showing made.Is this coorrect? when i check from each wire to the wire that would connect to the spark plug two show 2000 ohms and one shows 0. They show 2000 ohms no matter if you hook it to the wire that would be hooked to the power pack or the wire that would be hooked to ground. Can you tell if i have a bad coil?

"Compressions should be approx

"Compressions should be approx 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Is it?

With the s/plugs removed, spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

If the above areas check out, possibly you're using the wrong plugs or gap. Use Champion QL77JC4 plugs, gapped at .040 .

Let us know what you find.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

I have done more testing. Comp

I have done more testing. Compressoion is good on all cylinders.I have the spark plug listed above with the proper gap. I do know that the # 2 cylinder is not firing.So I whiched the coils #1 for number #2 and the problem did not move it stayed with #2 cylinder which makes me think power pack. With the motor hooked to water in the yard and running i done the following test please tell me if i am in the ballpark.I used a FLUKE 23 III meter with auto range to do the test. With the meter set a ac voltage i check the sensor wires coming to the power pack from the top of the head and got 110 volts on each wire to ground. Is this correct? Then with the meter still on ac voltage i check the voltage coming out of the power pack going to each coil and got .089 on #1 cylinder .004 on #2 cylinder and .089 on the #3 cylinder.Please help. Thanks. Can you test the power pack off the motor and on a bench?

"no,..it must be tested,..usin

"no,..it must be tested,..using the system, u r doing...i'm sure the people who build them,can do it,..but ,we cant..it sounds like u have a handle on things...i'd repl the pack,from ur readings,and,....90% of ign probs,..r the pack."

Back