Logo

70hp 2 stroke from mid 80s

PontoonDave

I inherited a Mariner 70 hp outboard that I am told ran great when it was last used 3 years ago. I removed spark plugs a gave each cylinder a shot of kroil penetrating oil let it sit for a day, put it in gear and could easily turn it over by hand turning the prop. Is there anything else that I should do before actually trying to start it for the first time in about 3 years. Do the carbs need cleaning or rebuilding or should I just try to start it and go from there. This is the first outboard I have ever done anything to. I have a fairly good understanding of inteternal combustion engines. I have never worked on a 2 stroke before. I just don’t want to wreck anything before I even hear it run. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve already purchased the Mariner manual from this site, I will order a water pump rebuild kit and instal it. It looks like a pretty straight forward job that I should have no problem doing. If anyone has any more suggestions , I am eager to learn the Mariner 70hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke outboard engine. TIA, Dave

Depends if it was run out of fuel before it was put into storage.I would clean the carbs and empty the old fuel in the gas tank.

Back