Logo

70 hp Johnson water flow

muleskinner

"I'm looking at an old boa

"I'm looking at an old boat that has a 1978 70hp Johnson on it. The owner says this motor isnt designed with a pee tube for water discharge. Is this true?? There are two holes in the back of the motor that he says emits a hot vapour, but he says the water discharge comes out by the lower unit in two places. I've never bought a boat/motor before and I'm not to sure of this. I have never seen an outboard that doesnt jet water back out. Anyone here know for sure? Thanks!!!"

I don't think the motors i

I don't think the motors in the 70's had "pee tubes". The two holes in the back of the motor or what is actually the exhaust housing are exhaust relief ports. Some water might exit from them but not much. Joe Reeves will know for sure about the pee hole.

The 78 parts breakdown clearly

The 78 parts breakdown clearly shows the " pee " indicator. So it is either plugged / waterpump is not working or the motor is not a 78.

"This motor might be a 79. I f

"This motor might be a 79. I found a sticker under the cover that said 1979 on it so the owner might be mistaken. I talked to my Uncle today and he said some older Johnsons/Evinrudes discharged water out around the prop. I dont know, maybe this guys telling the truth."

"Steve, it would help if you c

"Steve, it would help if you could post the model number for the motor. There should be a sticker on the mounting clamp or on a soft plug in the power head. This would aid in determining the year and then everyone would know what you are dealing with."

"Thank you Doug Bryant! I con

"Thank you Doug Bryant! I contacted Mr. Reeves by email and he was nice enough to answer back right away. This is part of what he wrote below>>>>>>>>>

Steve...... Yes, those early models did not have the water telltale outlet. That feature was introduced a few years later.

What's the model number of that engine? I'll pinpoint the year for you.

The majority of the water flows out the propeller area to cool the vulcanized rubber that separates the hub from the actual propeller blade assembly. There are holes/slots just above and to the rear portion of the cavitation plate..... those are the exit points for water when the thermostat(s) open. No water should exit there until the thermostat(s) open..... and if no water exits there at all, suspect strongly that the thermostat(s) are stuck shut.}}"

The 78 had a water tell tale .

The 78 had a water tell tale . The BRP website parts break down shows it.Therefor the 79 also has it.

"Changing a water pump in a 96

"Changing a water pump in a 96 Evinrude 25hp, how do you unhook the shifting linkage? Thanks Ed"

I have a 1976 johnson seahorse model 70EL76D engine 70hp, my issue is i dont see any pee hole water outlet on it. Question, is there a pee hole or water flow on this engine model?

No there is not.----Change the impeller every 5 years.----Test the overheat warning horn at beginning of the season.

When i run the engine i see water spitting on the lower end area, and its was spitting water really strong like a needle and coming out from a small hole. I was that maybe its the pee hole or water flow.
And to make sure, i check around the engine area and didnt see any water hose outlet for pee hole.
My outer boat which is a mercury engine if checking on the pee hole water line u will see it right away because identify it on the side of the engine base.
Anyone has an idea its a big help thanks

It was clearly stated that there was no pee hole on a 1976 model.----Replace water pump impeller.---Grease crankshaft / driveshaft splines.----Test your overheat horn. splines

Appreciate, this is my first johnson engine with this type so for some reason i really dont know about this engine. If its possible can you provide me a way to distinguish which is crankshaft / driveshaft splines and where can i see the overheat horn splines.
Thank you so much.

I have a 1976 johnson seahorse model 70EL76D engine 70hp, my issue is i dont see any pee hole water outlet on it. Question, is there a pee hole or water flow on this engine model?
Linked below are your engine schematics. There you can see what your engine has or does not have and if you need anything you can get parts numbers, prices and availability for parts for your specific engine.

1976 Johnson 70EL76D 70HP Outboard Motor

It was clearly stated that there was no pee hole on a 1976 model.----Replace water pump impeller.---Grease crankshaft / driveshaft splines.----Test your overheat horn. splines
Would adding one to the top of the exhaust manifold or block be a no no? I've seen many do it and haven't seen any negatives afterward.

Control box there is a lever beside the foward/reverse trottle.... what does it do when starting engine?
( warm up lever )

It's a lever that flips up to keep the motor held up when trailering and flips down so you can lower the motor for going for a boat ride. You really need to get an owners manual and/or service and repair manual.

Hello again ... yes u are correct i really need a manual regarding with this engine model but the problem is i cant find anywhere was wondering where can i see or look for it so i can photocopy and keep it as for my references...
Do u have an idea where i can get a copy of it?
Thanks ... appreciate it

Hi need your expert knowledge, .... while working on my boat trottle control box, i found a black or brown wire coming out of the cable control line just wondering what is that wire for, thanks Screenshot_20231015_083426_Gallery~2.jpg

Back