Logo

66 Evinrude Lark 8 40hp Manuals

Cadmium

Aftenoon All.* First post.* Looking for uploaded manuals for the 66 Lark.* I used to upload and download manuals for various small engines at a website a few years back, but I forget what it was.* It was great because it was the only way to get documents for really old or no longer produced engines.* Does anyone know where I might find either a repair or owners manual for the 1966 "Rude 40 hp Lark 8, or something very close?* I saw one for sale online for $88, but come on now.* I just bought a 1956 Crestliner 16 footer with this engine.* The engine was used last season, is very clean, and started fine so I'd like to keep it as tip-top as I can get it.* Does this engine sound like a good fit for this boat?* Boat's in fine condition too.* Lucky me (for now.)* Thanks folks.

You should get between 18-20 mph with the right prop. There some manuals on ebay a couple year model specific and some 1956-1970 1.5-40hp clymers cover all the basics with schematics. Is yours electric shift or manual I think I saw a 1966 40hp lark/big twin electric shift manual there also unless you find one on craigs list your gonna spend $20 + and yes it is good to get to know your motor give it a complete tune up pressure test the gearbox and put in a new impeller that way you have a starting point. Less likely to have problems out there. Oh yea a good spare prop and hardware, plugs and tools are handy when you go out saves getting towed.

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to boating, but comfortable with schematics and the like. It does have the electric shift, which I hadn't heard of before. Always presumed these outboards were pretty much like a lawn mower engine. I'll be doing more online reading today to get up to speed. I see this boat as being a bit small for Lake Erie; more in line for Ohio rivers and reserviors, where I boated with buds back in high school in the 70s. I found 1 prop from a place in MI for $99. I suppose that's a place to start, as the current prop's a bit chewed. Going to read up on impellers. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Appreciate everyone's help. Oh, who can recommend a USCG flare gun/device that's inexpensive and good? Don't expect to be anywhere where I'll need it - at least not this season - but it's an OH requirement. They all look costly where a gun is involved. Hand fired models for 3@$39 seem to be cheapest. What are the opinions regarding smoke vs light besides duration of burn? I'd think smoke to be preferable for daytime.

Back