Logo

65esl73r Hot horn test

vrfoetis

Hello all
I am new here and have searched high and low for info on testing the hot horn(1973 Johnson 65hp) I've come across one post that says to disconnect the brown wire from the sensor at the top of the head and ground it out. That wire goes to the starter solenoid, which doesn't make sense to me. I'm ordering the factory service manual, but it wont be in for several weeks and id like to get on the water before summer is over. Thanks in advance for all your help
Vince

Stop------Find the tan colored wire at the top of the cylinder head.-------Slide the rubber boot off the metal connecter.-----No need to separate the connecter.-------Turn ignition to on.-----Touch the metal to a cylinder head bolt.-----Horn should sound.-----Any pictures of this brown wire that goes to a starter solenoid ?----Sounds like someone has messed with wiring !!!

Thanks. The horn tested good. I replaced the impeller and discovered that the old one had been run dry. It was very melted into the housing. I took her to the lake and she died as soon as I put her in gear. Brought her back and did a compression check 135, 135, 140. I pulled each of the plug wires and found #3 coil was arcing to the block when I did. 3 new coils have been installed. She runs on muffs, but doesn’t sound quite rite yet. Is it possible I have a bad head gasket? There is a milky white discharge at the prop when it’s idling. Head to the lake to see what happens. Thanks in advance for your support

Ran dry long enough to melt impeller, eh? Those motors cannot stand even slight overheat. Exhaust cover baffle plate is warped beside exhaust ports, and squirting water into cylinders. Yeah, head gasket also.

I’m looking at the schematics on Boats.net. I believe the part you are referencing is called exhaust manifold plate #0317215. If I can find one, do I need all 3 gaskets as well. There is a gasket on each side of the plate as well as one behind the exhaust cover. Is this worth throwing more money at?
Thanks

Three gaskets are needed.----I suppose you could throw a few beer tokens at a new motor !----I know I would evaluate this motor .----Look at cylinders.----Head gasket is cheap.

Yes, you need all three gaskets and 0317215 plate. You also need a powerhead adapter gasket 0313763. I would not waste money on a used plate. It probably was replaced for the same reason you are.

Now for the final blow: When those plates warp and squirt water into the cylinders, it usually rusts the bearings in the crankcase before the problem is discovered and diagnosed. That is fatal.

So, it is up to you. Me? I wouldn't do it.

Back