Logo

65 horse Evinrude Triumph, water in cylinder

halerzr

I have a 1972 Evinrude 65 horse engine that has been sitting for several years. I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the impeller. Started it up and adjusted the carbs and idle several times, ran well and no heating issues. Tried to start again, and engine would not crank. Pulled plugs and have water in bottom cylinder. Pulled head and inspected gasket, no signs of it leaking. I can see rust in the ports on number 3 cylinder. Any thoughts on where my leak is? Could I have a cracked block ?

You could possibly have a crack In the block but when you pulled the head the first time did you resurface the cylinder head and the block? The head is easy to do but the block is a little harder to get at. Over the time/years the head and the block are both aluminum and it is necessary that if you pull the head/s that you have it resurfaced at a machine shop or I would take a hard oak wood block and a sheet of 80 grit Emory cloth and put the head in a vice with very little pressure and then take the block and sand the head back and forth until you see all the aluminum is even. Then take the block and try sanding the block as best as you can because the engine pan will be in the way. You may also need to take the coils off the head before putting it in the vice. Then get another brand new cylinder head gasket and make sure you torque the bolts as you put the head back on. You should check with a local OMC dealer but I'm pretty sure that you end up torquing the bolts to 19 ft lbs. Hope this helps.:cool:

Back