Logo

65 evinrude 40hp.. spark and key issue

Coil damage was NOT due to an over tork on the flywheel.----Usually a result of long puller screws.

I’m sorry for the damage! I know for the future now. Just don’t know if I should just be happy with spark on both cylinders or I need to consider changing what i got. I felt I was either going to use short puller screws and risk ripping up threads and flywheel (never tried to tap and die) or using long screws and hurting what I thought was bad gear. Still trying to decide if i will sell if it runs.

my questions are now geared towards removing carb, I noticed there is a pin in way or threaded nut. Any ideas? I opened carb drain bowl and nothing came out but I smell OLD gas. Might want to remove and clean while flywheel is off ?

Last edited:
Here are some carb pictures, a rather clean carb for being from 1965. Please provide info on float, looks to me like it is hanging very low. All the jets were clean and not clogged. The bowl had very little crud in it. The float did almost seem stuck to the bowl. The tab on the float might of been bent. Please provide insight if the float needs to be adjusted. I am confused if its hanging too low.

Do I need a carb rebuild kit?

I didn’t have the small metal clip that connects to float needle and bowl. My float needle is a different shape and doesn’t have the spot for metal clip to hook onto. Any thoughts?

If you run fuel out of the carburetor when done boating the carburetor will stay clean.-----You might as well install a kit with a new float now.

I will buy a new float, do I need a new needle and the small metal clip? I see videos online with people and no float bowl clips.

It appears the original carb did not have metal clip or the needle design to use clip. Can anyone confirm. My manual shows the above is used?

Does anyone know the measurements for float height? Don't know if small metal tab on float bent and now float is hanging too low! What is the drop dimension?

Last edited:
Back