Logo

65 Evinrude 40hp nothing from key start

rhartman421

Regular Contributor
I was able to get my 1965 Evinrude 40hp running by jumping starter solenoid.

I have a brand new replacement ignition switch and starter solenoid and I get no response from keystart. Not even a click from the solenoid. I cleaned almost all terminals.

i have a wiring diagram, what should I do follow start wires with a multimeter? Also, does the starter solenoid have to be mounted, does mounting bracket act as a ground? Mine is currently not mounted in junction box!

Last edited:
First, do you have the correct solenoid or are you trying to use a car solenoid?
Second, check the safety switch.

I bought a matching model # (378444) solenoid. Is the safety switch under the flywheel and looks like pressure sensor?

I disconnected that and nothing happened. I will try again using new solenoid. Does it have to be mounted?

Both fuses are good.

Last edited:
That pressure sensor as you call it, is a vacuum cut out switch. Safety switch is below flywheel, starboard side,white wire. It won't start if disconnected.
No, solenoid does not need to be mounted.

Safety switch under flywheel needs just one white wire.----It is internally grounded when throttle is in the right position.-----That switch is easy to take apart for cleaning too.

Safety switch under flywheel needs just one white wire.----It is internally grounded when throttle is in the right position.-----That switch is easy to take apart for cleaning too.

I will take about both switches for cleaning and will try to clean my battery ground connection again in junction box. And test for these switches?

The motor ran the longest when I just jumped the solenoid, I didn’t even expect the motor to run.

You guys are great. I owe you alot.

key ignition now works, a big contributor, dirty ground to junction box. Sanded clean and now have an ignition system.

Sometimes it is the simple things.

The motor stayed idleing today and even like some throttle. I could get the key to shut motor off. I did have black vacumm line disconnected and also accidentally left battery maintainer connected to battery.

Any reason why this could be?

Back