Logo

63 Evinrude 40 HP Head Scratcher

426hemi

Contributing Member
I have a strange problem with my 1963 Evinrude 40 HP (Model 40363-DA converted to mechanical shift). It starts and runs beautifully at all speeds from dead slow to WOT. The problem is that, after 20 minutes or so it suddenly dies. It doesn't seem to matter what speed I'm running the result is the same. When I turn the key it restarts immediately with no effort and returns to normal operation for another 20 minutes or sometimes much longer and then dies again. The carb, choke and fuel pump have all been rebuilt in the past year and I have all new fuel lines, new fuel filter and a new gas tank. There is no over-heating and I'm getting great spark. Cylinder compression is 120 and 118. I have changed the needle valve and seat even though I already had a new one in the carb and the float level appears to be exactly where it should be. As I said, this one is a head scratcher.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them. :confused::confused::confused:

Have you had the flywheel off to inspect the coils / ignition ?-------Inspect the black kill circuit wires that come from under the magneto.--May have a bare spot.-----Try disconnecting one of the black kill circuit wires that come from under the flywheel ( knife disconnect ) and see what happens.

Have you had the flywheel off to inspect the coils / ignition ?-------Inspect the black kill circuit wires that come from under the magneto.--May have a bare spot.-----Try disconnecting one of the black kill circuit wires that come from under the flywheel ( knife disconnect ) and see what happens.

No, I haven't had the flywheel off. I'll give your suggestion a try and I'll look for bare spots but I'll have to wait for spring to try disconnecting the wire with winter having arrived here. Thanks racerone

You changed the needle and seat, so this probably doesn't apply...But did you install the clip that came with it?

You changed the needle and seat, so this probably doesn't apply...But did you install the clip that came with it?

Come to think of it there was no clip with the needle. It's just working on gravity. I wondered about that at the time.

Last edited:
When you say ----" it suddenly dies " does it mean it shuts off like you turned the key off or does it sputter and slowly lose RPM.

Great information. This all makes sense because of the way it quits so suddenly. I can physically trace the wiring to see if there are any bare spots but I can't try removing the wires and running it until next spring. One question: Is it possible that the problem could be in the cut out switch itself? I have two brand new ones available and it might be worth replacing the switch while I'm at it.

Okay. As I said I'll have to wait until spring to try that and see what happens. We're in the middle of a 40 cm. blizzard right now so boating season is definitely over here. I'll let you know sometime in May. Thanks for all your help. Hemi.

Back