Logo

60hp. Johnson Water problems

floridaboy41

I have a 60hp. Johnson that when it is in the water it shows a good water output at the tell tell out let but is leaking water out under the power head. It is filling up the leg with so much water it is coming out at the top of the leg. What should i be looking for that would cause this? Any thoughts.
The engine is a1993 TJ60TLETD

Last edited:
Seal missing from top of water pump housing?? Motor way too deep in the water?? Somebody plug up the drain holes near the lower motor mount?? I would also guess running on muffs with too much water pressure, except you said it is in the water.

Is the water coming out from around the drive shaft ??

That was my assumption when I read the question. But since the drive shaft is out of view, the average bear wouldn't know that. Water rises up in drive shaft tube and overflows out the top in the area of the upper mount. This picture is of a different motor, but explains what is happening (blue line). Green line is normal drainage near the lower mount.

Attachments

• Drive Shaft Tube Overflow.jpg
    Drive Shaft Tube Overflow.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the replies . I will let you know when i drop the lower unite what i find. I am still doing work on the boat refinishing it so it will be awhile .Now i have a good idea of what to look for. Thank you again for the info.

Back