Logo

60ES70B has me baffled. No spark after most all new ignition parts. Need some input

Bringing my late father's 1970 Johnson 60hp back to life. I've put new head gasket and water jacket gasket on. Has 152, 148,150 compression top to bottom. Has new Evinrude/BRP amplifier/powerpack which whines when key is turned to on position as the instruction sheet says it should new OEM points set to .010, (contacts cleaned before installation), new points wires, checked stator with my dva and it appears to be functioning within parameters, new rotor, cleaned distributor, checked plug wires, new oem coil, checked safety switch, seems to be ok (wont crank when depressed-will crank when released),Flywheel magnets and flywheel appear good. Ive cleaned every wire terminal and wire at the terminal block,It cranks over fantastic but NO spark. I'm spinning my wheels here. Point me in right direction somebody. Thank you in advance!

The stator and flywheel magnets have nothing to do with making spark for the plugs.----What ignition switch ( part # or pictures ) are you using?

Screw the coil wire out of the distributor cap and hook it up to your spark checker,unplug the black/white wire that comes from the points to the amplifier.Everytime you touch the black/white wire to ground the coil should fire.If I remember right its recomended to remove the clipper circuit when you install a new amplifier.You should be able to take a ohmeter and check the points to see if there working,point adjustment is critical on this ignition system.

The stator and flywheel magnets have nothing to do with making spark for the plugs.----What ignition switch ( part # or pictures ) are you using?
It's the original switch from the controls on the original 1970 Starcraft tinner that motors always hung on since new. I've not opened the controls up, unless my Dad changed the switch when I was a kid, I don't remember him ever mentioning the key switch

20230804_085952.jpg

I contacted BRP/EVINRUDE before installing it. The assembly with the coil was over $350. They responded with a list of their associated dealers who would help me with technical issues. None of them are located close to me, nor were they willing to help me along as BRP stated they would. Anybody have experience installing part # 0777647 ?
I installed it following the manual sheet included with amplifier

Reading through this thread, I don't see anywhere that you have verified that you have 12V at the amplifier input while you are doing the spark test. You can slap new amplifiers on it all day long and won't get any spark from the coil if you don't have 12V input (or very close to 12V) to the amplifier.

The manual specified a range of 9.5 volts at cranking. Klein dva multimeter tested it at 9.52v at cranking, 12.49 with key on not cranking, and 204v at blue coil wire while cranking. All within specs according to the troubleshooting sheet supplied with the OEM part

So you have 204 DVA Volts to the coil but no spark at all at the coil's spark wire when disconnected from the distributor cap? Sure sounds like some sort of problem with the coil.

Back