Logo

60 hp merc 2001

gotwohull

Contributing Member
Overheat problem changed water

Overheat problem changed water pump thermostat. Water jacket is clear. Water does not seem to getting to the upper part of motor. Got the motor to stop overheating by pumping water to the back flush. Is it common for the tube that leads to the power head to get clogged up? Thank you in advance Joe

"when you don't change the

"when you don't change the pump in years the pump self destructs sending pieces up the water tube and engine block, then overheats. Or it overheats and melts the grommet at the top of the tube, you put a new pump in and the water never reaches the block. Normal maintenance on a $20 pump prevents a $2500 overhaul."

Every two years I change the w

Every two years I change the water pump at $140.00 a pump non came out with parts missing.If you can get them for $20 I will take 10 of them. Now the grommet you speak of is the one that goes between the the power head and water tube. Looks like I will have to remove the power head.Thanks for Your help

Thanks for your help JB. I set

Thanks for your help JB. I set up a 12v water pump to the flush inlet.To flush with bay water. It pumps 500gph or what ever it take not a lot of psi. The motor did not overheat. Even at wot. Can that mean the problem is below the power head? Thanx Joe

"maybe the water tube from pum

"maybe the water tube from pump to engine fell off. I suggest starting from scratch. Remove lower unit, check pump and drive pin. Check water tube for split or ruptured seal. Hook a hose to water tube, air or water and try to get flow out to tell tale. Dont take any more chances, this isn't a hard thing to fix until you overheat. The top seal on the tube might be accessible from the bottom up, if you have to. If you ran the engine out of the water the pump is now shot."

I have always had flow from th

I have always had flow from the tell tale. however it dose slow down at half throttle. Then the overheat goes off around 185 degrees I turn off engine and wait ten minutes then I can go slow for a half hour or so. I have never run the engine without water. thanx joe

JB I believe this engine does

JB I believe this engine does not have a popet valve only a thermostat. If it did have one where would it be? thanx joe

"It would be next to thermo. D

"It would be next to thermo. Do you have a serial number handy. You said it has a weak pee stream. We need to find out why. Need to tear off lower unit and check pump, water housing grommet, water tube and seal. The parts listing said 110 degree thermo, lets not hit 185 again."

Back