Logo

60 HP jamed in forward

Fwank

Just purchased a boat with a 60 hp mariner motor made in Japan. It is stuck in forward and I can't move it --- any suggestions please!! Any tricks or do I need to take the gearbox off?

You didn't list the serial number, so I'm guessing someone had the LU off for an impeller change and put it back on wrong.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, serial no is 675 305699. Please excuse my ignorance but what is the LU? Also what mix does this run on -- plugs seem a bit oily. Thanks fir any help.

Thanks I was hoping not tp have to take the LU off I'm a lot older than the motor. The top end looks almost new no sign of any work and the starter pinion and fly wheel look like they've had little work. Been sitting in a yard since 2008. Does that suggest I should be looking at other things. I haven't started it yet. Thanks for any help.

Good owners drop the LU regularly to change impellers. So, if the motor looks shiny new, it still might be the problem I mentioned.

Jeff

You have yourself a Yamaha built Mariner,1980 by that number,which is a carbon copy of an older Yamaha,'77-'79 me thinks.
Lower Unit is Yank speak for gear-box

Before you toss her in the dunnie, pull that LU off and take a look. It's heavy, so have a sheila give you hand.

Crocodile Jeff

PS: How's that for Aussie speak!

Back