Logo

60 horse ignition problems

gkull

i have a 1991 with a new powerpack and timer base. the old powerpack failed and the old timer base was weak on #1 so it wouldnt idle on all 3 but would clear up (most of the time) as rpms went up. now as it idles it looses fire on all 3 for a second or two. it may stall or just cut out and pick back up again. usually misses 8 or 10 times a minute. it clears up as rpms go up at running rpm (not wot) i doesnt do this at all, yet. does this sound like a stator going south? its the only part that isnt new. thanks in advance

A stator has a high side and a low side. Your low side may be weak. You'll know soon enough as when ignition parts start to get weak thay soon fail. Most of the time they just quit, but not always. If you have a new power pack and a new timer base then it is quite logical that the stator could be next to go, IF this is in fact an ignition problem. The engine could be starting to run rich and act this way too. Sometimes when the slow side of the stator fails the engine is hard to start and very weak on acceleration but when it reaches about 2500 RPM it just shifts gears as the powerful high side kicks in. Check the plugs. If it's running rich they should be dark brown and black. If it's having ignition trouble they may be wet and a bit cleaner. You may have to put in a set of new plugs to get a good reading but it's worth it. The engine is old enough to possibly need reeds. Old reeds can act just like this. Cheaper than a stator too.

thanks dockside. my previous post was the first and didnt want to get all long and drawn out. the 60 will very rarely load up thats a very long idle zone. when that happens it very slowly peters out i can usually catch it and clear it up but not always. when it does happen it fires right back up. our new problem is ignition cut out for shure. we have a neon spark checker (just touch the wire deal) and it plain to see the miss happen. the stator ohms out a tad low dont have a DVA yet but it has gotten hot before as goe is starting to leak out. i did isolate the kill just to say i did. the person i got the powerpack and timer base says that that is not usually what staors do on that motor but im running out of options and parts to replace. so far everything that was bought was in deed bad. i use fiberglass reeds in my yommy rd are the one in this motor steel? all 3 are at 130 for compresson and i do mix a tad rich but dont foul plugs. i myself would rather see a little smoke on idle than not. this is on a 20' lowe pontoon purchased begining of summer last year and wasgood all summer but the 2 happiest days were getting closer everytime we took it out in october and it sat untill a couple weeks ago. thanks again i did order a new stator yesterday morning

Back