Logo

5hp Sea King Montgomery Ward

Where would I find a manual an

Where would I find a manual and or parts catalog for a Sea King 5 Model GG9001B? What year is this motor and what is the mix ratio? 16:1?

"K, that is a 1955 model built

"K, that is a 1955 model built by Gale (OMC division) for Wards.

Gale manuals are still available - try a websearch (can't think of the one or two places I have seen them listed).

Your model is identical to Gale's own model 5S12, sold under their own name.

You can mix this model at 24:1 and all should be fine.

Common maintenance parts for this are still very much available from www.laingsoutboards.com"

"Hi, i just bought a 5 hp sea

"Hi, i just bought a 5 hp sea king. Can you tell me what year it is? Model # GG8960a, Serial # 75x707277. Is it water or air cooled? If it's water cooled do i have to pull the block to get to the pump? Thanks"

"My Sea King 5 did not seem to

"My Sea King 5 did not seem to make any of the lists I looked at. The plate states:
Clinton Engines Corp.
Maquoketa, Iowa U.S.A.
Model: J500 1106B
Serial: 354516
Type: 60 27005R
Can I assume this was made in 1953?
Best all around plug?

Thanks for your help folks.
Buck"

took lower unit bolts out and

took lower unit bolts out and cant find shifter linkage access panel how do i take shifting rod out of case to get lower unit off to change water pump ? its a 63 sea king 5 horse thank you

"Hi I just found this site and

"Hi I just found this site and was wondering if anyone could tell me what year this motor is it is a Sea King Five Model GG18736 Serial number 16X823592 I Just picked it up this weekend. Did they make a two cylinder as I have two spark plugs. Also is it 2 or 4 stroke as the person I got it from did not know. Thanks, for any help"

just found an old sea king mon

just found an old sea king montgomery ward outboard motor in back of a garage. looking for some info on it but cant find a site online that will accept the model no. model no. is gg9016b and the serial no. is 65x620291 it is in great condition and i want to get it going agian but i cant even tell how many HP it has

"Stuart, you have a 1956 12 HP

"Stuart, you have a 1956 12 HP made by Gale, a division of OMC.

Terry, yours is a 5 HP by the same maker, 1961 (suffix a, b, or c) or 1962 (suffix d). Both 2 stroke, 2 cylinder. I like these motors."

"thanks tim
got another ques

"thanks tim
got another question its been sitting at least twenty years. was wondering what steps should i take before trying to start it up. (spark plugs, leaded fuel or not, oil and gas mix?) pretty lost when it comes to boat motors"

"Stuart, I'm not an expert

"Stuart, I'm not an expert, just having fun learning. A few good resources to begin learning how to fix older motors, IMHO:

- Start with the FAQ section of the marineengine.com motor forum

- If you can't find an answer searching FAQ or existing posts, post your question with as much detail about your motor and issue as you can in a new thread.

- The Antique Outboard Motor Club has lots of info about old motors http://www.aomci.org/

- The Book Cheap Outboards by Max Wawrzyniak teaches you a lot about Evinrudes and Johnsons from the 50's and 60's. I believe you can order it from this site. A lot of Max's articles are available on the web.

Have fun!"

"sorry for the redundancy but

"sorry for the redundancy but I have a sea king 5h.p. model GG18736D I purchased it with a sears boat mfg. n 1975 assume the motor is around the same year. I've had it running a few times but seems to only run on near full choke, have replaced fuel lines tank primer bulb and plugs, was told that 3 oz. of 30wt oil to 1 gal. was the appropriate mix, would appreciate some input, have been told that the fuel delivery (pump) system may need help. removed unit and gasket and diaphragm seemed brittle, either way now I need a replacement...HELLLLLP!!!"

"For parts you might check the

"For parts you might check these places "Twincities outboards", "Laingsoutboards", "DiscountMarine Parts" "Crowley Marine" "Franzmarine"

You can run 50/1 TCW rated oil for 2 strokes. The 30wt engine oil will not be what you should be running."

"Right down the leg (exhau

"Right down the leg (exhaust housing) and out the exhaust (above the prop).

There may be a couple of relief holes on the leg up near the base cowl that will kinda spit or weep water that can indicate if it's pumping ok (but still can't normally see that if the boat is in motion - can't hang off the back of the transom to get a look at the back of the leg when underway), so for the most part you just have to keep the waterpump serviced and trust that it's doing it's job..."

Looking for info on a Sea King

Looking for info on a Sea King 5 hp model #GG18801A SN# 36X882290. Anyone know where I can get parts and also motor info??

"Kelly, that is a 1963 Gale &#

"Kelly, that is a 1963 Gale (which was a division of OMC at the time). Nice little twin cylinder model.

Most of the Wards models were based on Gale's own Buccanneer line (think I spelled that wrong), but I can't find a cross reference to their own model.

www.laingsoutboards.com has numerous parts for Gale's and original manuals for these are not difficult to find either (try a websearch)..."

"looking for a year for this 5

"looking for a year for this 5.0hp twin. its model # is gg9003a serial 75x701440. Also is it watercooled and is it supposed to have mechanical points, because mine has a point gap of .020 wrote on the flywheel but underneath there is no points just coils and condensors as far as I can tell. does anyone still sell the points?"

just wondering if anyone knows

just wondering if anyone knows what the tube is that comes off the bottom of the engine right above where it rotates. Its a little 1/8" metal 90 degree bent tube that comes out by the bottom end of the crank and points straight down. When you turn the engine it pushes out air on the exhaust cycle. I would think it should be connected to something but I dont know what or where. Any suggestions would be great

I found out its a 1957 5 horse 2 cyl water cooled with points that I will need to buy

I just unseized the engine today and just need points and to hook up that tube and it should run

"I just received two 1948 moto

"I just received two 1948 motors. Their both 5 hp. One is a Sea king distributed by Montgomery Wards, made by Gale. The other is a Sea Bee distributed by Goodyear, I think it must be made by Gale too because the motors are pretty much identical. Nether one of them has spark. I,m having a hard time getting to the points. The flywheel is not coming off. Any suggestions?"

"This technique has never fail

"This technique has never failed me. Try putting a large screwdriver or a prybar underneath the flywheel and put the nut back on that holds the flywheel just far enough that the nut is higher than the thread,(to avoid ruining the threads). Then hit the nut while pushing down on the pry bar or screwdriver. give it a couple raps then turn the flywheel 180 degreese or move prybar 180 degreese and hit the nut again with a metal hammer. repeat over and over progressively hammering and prying harder untill it pops up. Be careful where you pry though. Worked on my 5 horse gale and my other two outboards and my motorcycle. no pullers necessary and less marks than a puller leaves."

"Kevin I believe your tube fro

"Kevin I believe your tube from the motor is the excess oil drain from the crankshaft. This was soon re-engineered to put that excess to the top bearing where it dripped back thru the motor to be caught up and burned. I've used your pry bar and hammer for years, but found a steel ball bearing duck taped to the end of the crank as a little extra insurance and to line up the key way slot with the pry bar and not to "pry " very hard on it worked best."

"Kevin, thanks for advice on h

"Kevin, thanks for advice on how to get flywheel off. I screwed the nut back on a little bit and all it took was two hits from my hammer and it was loose. On both motors. Now I need to find a service manual from 1948. I don't know the terminology of all the parts under there, but i know i need new parts. Thanks again Steve."

"So does it just drain right i

"So does it just drain right into the boat or water or should It run somewhere? It has a barb or nipple on the end like an automobile vacuum line. I like that ball bearing idea. I will have to try that next time I have a stuck flywheel, because I am usually afraid I will mess up the threads or nut. great idea"

traditionally it just ran down

traditionally it just ran down the exhaust housing and into the water. Later (after complaints I imagine) they made it drain inside the exhaust chamber and out near the prop. Some big mercs worked the same way by having small holes drilled in their lower crank seals.

"I have a Sea King 5 HP model

"I have a Sea King 5 HP model GG 18736 serial # 16x823393

I'm having trouble dropping the bottom to get at the waterpump impeller,,,, the 4 bolts come out but it will only come down 2 inches or so,,,,,,what is the trick to getting it off???"

I have a Gale boat motor and would lie to know what year it is and any other information i could get on it. the model # is 5D16B and the serial # is 33101. if anyone has any info on this please let me know. also does anyone know were you can get the side plates for this engine?

Back