Logo

5hp Johnson CD-12: too much for my canoe?

wzroberts

Howdy!

I'm looking for a reliable vintage outboard motor to pair with my 19' single stern Grumman canoe. I was originally thinking about something in the 3hp range with a built in fuel tank, but I have come across a good deal on a 5hp Johnson CD-12. Generally speaking, would you be concerned that this motor is too much/too heavy for my canoe? I have a 5/8" thick piece of aluminum across the transom, so that should hold up ok. The boat is rated for 7hp.

-Zach

I guess what you would want to do, is check the weight of that motor versus what the weight of a 7 horsepower outboard is. Then check the total payload weight including yourself in the canoe and see what that comes up with. The square stern canoe I had was rated for a 5 horsepower motor, I ran a 6 horse Johnson on it and it was just fine. I did have to put quite a bit of weight up front otherwise the front end was sky high in the air. But you'll get the feel for it and judge how much throttle you give it, whichever size you put on there. Just do your homework first.

Welcome to the forum. That old 5 is perfect for the job. Heed Brian's advice and load the canoe as you want, keeping adequate bow weight. I sell these little 5's at around $300 in perfect running condition. Have lots around here too. Usually can pick one up at a garage sale or auction for $50 to $100. Parts are still readily available.

Back