Logo

59 Johnson 50 HP

John Gunby

I’m new to forum use in general and just now registered here. Thanks for including me
i have a Johnson 50 hp 1959 model year. Best I can
determine is that last time wet was 55 years ago. Waiting on starter to do compression test I was keeping busy by getting down to impeller.
nowfor my question, I drained gear grease and only removed perhaps two table spoons of oil. First I can’t find in manual quantity expected back. Second, Is there something I can flush lower unit out so not to damage seals ( diesel or mineral spirits )or dose it really matter because I should probably redo seals?

thanks John

These motors are thirstier than a drunken sailor !----Determine the condition of this motor before spending your beer tokens.-----Compression test can be done with the recoil starter.-----Not a motor for every day use!

The gas consumption on these is near record setting.------I have run these in a test tank and exhaust smell would make a skunk run away.

My local marine repair store told me that the exhaust put a pretty good oil sheen on surface of the water. The engine came on Theo boat but I’m attached to it other than it’s the only one I have . I’m looking for a used motor but have had no luck so far finding one affordable . So I thought I’d try to get running, I’m not a mechanic so it’s a challenge.
John

Pull the recoil off.-----Wrap rope around flywheel.-----Do a compression test that way .----And check for spark from that magneto.-----In my area used motors are plentiful.----But it varies and they are scarce in some areas.

Last edited:
Back