Logo

57 GXIF Overheating

titanbry77

"Hey all, not sure if you reme

"Hey all, not sure if you remember me, I had the drive issue last season and then this seasons first outing got me the overheat and hydrolocked engine.

Well the hydrolock part has been resolved with new risers and gaskets.

Now the overheat problem will not go away, I have a 5.7GXI-F with the freshwater flush system. Then engine is raw water cooled.

I ran the engine for a solid time on the garden hose to get it to the normal operating temperature which is right about 175(F). On the hose it will never go over that.

So we loaded her into the water and let it sit at idle on the dock as I parked the truck/trailer. Already I noticed the temperature was rising a bit past the normal 175.

Idled out through the no wake and wasn't but 5-10 minutes before my temperature started rising, 200+ and then my overheat sensor began to chime.

As we idled back I pulled the various hoses from the sea water pump intake and exhaust and observed water flow seemed ok, also seemed to be flowing through the thermostat housing as well. I know this won't show any air being pulled in but water flow seemed adequate.

Got to the dock let her cool a bit, pulled the water pump off, impeller is in perfect shape.

I am thinking there has got to be an exhaust problem or an air ingress in the drive, I can't see any other reason why she runs perfect on the garden hose, soon as I put her in the water, no good!?

The oil level is perfect, still fresh clean oil from the winterize oil change, no signs of water, the levels are good. Pulled the block drains as good measure to make sure I had no clogs etc and was ok there.

What do I do now, I'm looking at pulling the Y fitting at the transom or pulling the drive off and looking for signs of air ingress??? I did have that drive issue last season that required a lot of work, perhaps the shop bungled a hose or something and it split over the winter.??

Any input is appreciated as always. Thanks guys"

Back