Logo

55hp johnson outboard 1977 model 55EL77D installing a tell tale

big hen

hi all,l have recently replace the impeller in this outboard and water is coming out of the correct places however on this particular outboard there is no tell tale and for my own piece of mind l would like to install one,drilling and tapping the wholes is not an issue l'm not 100% sure of the best position to do this.
Would anybody be able to offer me some advice and possibly a photo or diagram of its positioning in the water jacket

evin 55 1979.jpgHere is the opening on the exhaust side cover on the '79 55 hp. Its the dark spot at 3 o'clock. The powerhead is facing carbs down.

Do a google search for installing a tell tale on johnson/evinrude outboards. Or you can install one into the head but the head needs to be removed to install it.

flyingscott, why does the head has to be removed? I just installed the thermostat on 77 75hp Stinger and looked inside. It is possible to drill the head on the block. Not comfortable but possible. on the other hand... taking the head off will give you a way to take a good look inside the cylinders. Hmmm

If you know where your drilling you can just keep the bit and the thread tap coated with grease to catch the shavings. just keep the bit clean and coated with grease same with the tap I clean it after each thread. Dont thread too deep all you need is about four good threads so the fitting fits tight. Pipe threads are tapered.

Back