Logo

55esl69ai carburetor adjustment

have to adjust all three start with the center,get it running the best you can then move on to either top or bottom adjust that one then adjust the last.Then fine tune each in the same order.

I need to know which of the 3 is the low speed and which is the high speed adjustment. My low speed is perfect and I don't want to touch it. My high speed is the one I need to adjust

Start with the basics -----------Each carburetor has a high speed jet in the bottom of the float bowl.-------They must be clean and are not adjustable.------------The upper one on each carburetor is the slow speed jet.-----------Turn them in ( gently seated ) and back them out 5/8 turn.------------That is your starting point and final adjustment is done in the water in gear.-----------If it stalls on takeoff, you need to open them up 1/8 turn untill it takes off smoothly.--------------------------You are adjusting the carburetors , but what is the motor doing / not doing to lead you to ask the question about your carburetors.

It idles and trolls perfectly but when I give it full throttle it runs graph. It runs at half speed and chugs and sputters as if it is getting to much fuel. If I pinch the fuel line and restrict fuel flow is runs perfect. Every forum I read says just adjust the high Speed valve. So that's my question... Which of the 3 valves is my high.?

There are no adjustable high speed valves !!!!!!!------------Only 3 low speed idle mixture adjustments.------I thought I made that clear in post # 4.----------Have you made any other tests / checks on this motor.------------And in case you wonder, I worked on those motors when they were " new " in 69 / 70.------------Those people on the other forums are talking -----------NONSENSE-----trust me.

It continues to amaze me as to why people pick on the carburetor / s -to start with their trouble shooting .------------I own more than one of these motors for parts.------------------You need to do a compression test and test that spark will jump a gap of 7/16" on each plug wire.--------------Then you need to pull the flywheel on it to set points at 0.010" and replace the " anti -reversing spring ".----Clean the rotor and distributor cap as well.-----------Untill yo do this simple maintenance , you might be guessing as to what is wrong.------------Again, I believe I made it very clear that the three needles are set the same in post # 4---------Read it again, and take it word for word as being correct !

Douchbag??? why do so many ask for advice get A+ advice then question the same advice they are asking for?? Read closely FOLLOW racerones procedure compression,spark and fuel are the main components of any motor.You HAVE to tune it as stated above.THEN trouble shoot.
You may have lost someone who can give the best advice for your motor.

Back