Logo

50hp mariner won't tilt.

barvas11

Hi Guys, My 50hp mariner won't tilt. It moved about 5 degrees very slowly and then it stopped. I can hear the solenoids clicking and have checked the power going in in the pump and motor. It receives 12v as it should. My guess would be the faulty motor and pump unit. If there was something wrong with cables for example corroded terminals then it wouldn't move at all would it? Thanks

There should be three wires going to the pump. I think red, blue, and green. If you apply 12 volt power to the green and red lead it should go up or down and power to the blue and red it should go the opposite direction. If it doesn't do anything, you have a bad pump motor. Not too hard to replace, maybe a 5 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. If it goes up and down normally doing this test, then you have relay issues.

Just remembered how to test it. There should be a green and a blue wire going the the pump directly (no red like i said before). Unplug those and apply 12 volts across the green and blue. It should go up or down. Then reverse the wires and it should go the opposite direction. If it doesn't do anything then you have a bad pump motor.

First check the fluid level. Clean the positive and negative terminals for the trim pump at the battery to start...make sure the battery is fully charged...it should read 13.3 +/- 0.3 volts. Better yet, charge it w/a 2 amp charge overnight and take it to an auto parts store for a load test to verify the CCA of the battery vs. what it is rated at on the label. Advance Auto Parts can do that for free. They will even charge it overnight for free.

Inspect the relay sockets for corrosion. Clicking relays means they are getting voltage to their coils. It says nothing about the condition of the contacts that the high current flows thru to the pump motor. You can jumper 12 vdc from the battery to the blue "up" and green "down" wires at the relays. Use a 16 ga. wire to jumper. If it goes up/down normally then both relays are shot. If it barely moves up/down then the motor brushes are worn.

Back