Logo

50GXI WOT Concern

bschip43

Regular Contributor
"Gents: My concern is this; ho

"Gents: My concern is this; how long can you run a motor at WOT..I just took her out after a winter rest. I have always been haunted by this::::Is it safe at WOT for long drives or should I do short runs and back it down, then open it up again...Thanks for the support"

"Bert, [b]WOT RPM[/b] is used

"Bert, WOT RPM is used to determine if the drive ratio and prop selection is correct for your boat and engine...... It is a TOOL only for determining this.
We should never run at WOT for sustained duration unless the idea of a new engine in the not so distant future does not bother you.

IMO, what you should be looking at is your cruising RPM that best suits your needs."

"Thanks,,You have no idea what

"Thanks,,You have no idea what you hear out at the dock,,some of it sounds very true. Like the WOT..I was told this was the top speed the motor can run for long runs,,,Thanks again Gents,,,Some information you get dock-side is best when you understand your wants, needs and knowledge...I'm learning...Thanks"

"Sorry, I'm running a 5.0G

"Sorry, I'm running a 5.0GXI SX drive with a 4 blade SS prop...Specs say 5000 RPM @ WOT..this is what I can run at WOT..so once again is 4000 to high for long runs or is this damageing the motor..."

"I've had several chats wi

"I've had several chats with marine motor engineers over the years. I got the same story from both of them. At WOT you are looking at 50 to 100 hrs of engine life. At 75 to 80% of WOT (assuming you are correctly propped) you are looking at thousands of hours of engine life.
One engineer told me that for most engines, 75% vs 80% is good for another 30 to 50% more life.

For some number of years, my car mechanic (back when I was driving a somewhat exotic car) was a race driver and mechanic. They tear down their engines after every race.

Re: "You have no idea what you hear out at the dock"... that depends on the dock. If the dock is populated with USCG Licensed Captains or others who make their living with their boats, that's one thing. If it's a dock with lots of beer coolers and tow toys and shiny trucks,well... that's another... just my opinion."

Back