Logo

502 EFI w/ Bravo II...Stalling when shifting into gear

danoinak

Hi all,
I am new here, and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 502 EFI Gen. V with a Bravo II outdrive. The engine runs great, but suddenly it stalls out when I try to shift into gear. Some armchair mechanics have said check the neutral safety switch, but I don't seem to find one on my shift plate. Others have said it's a lower shift cable problem. Any guesses out there?

All Bravo do not have neutral safety switch....
you need to put scanner on motor, to see any codes. When going into gear , can you hear air sucking in, If not you may have IA problem

Steve

Did they say neutral safety switch or shift interupt switch? No shift interupt switch on Bravo apps. Neutral safety switch will be at the remote control (shifter). As mentioned, could be an engine issue, but may also be a drive issue. Same problem going into reverse?

Yes neutral switch on controls, but no shift interupt on Bravo, wasn't toldy sure if he had the right question ask.
When he said he look on shifter plate, thought if was looking for interupt S/W which isn't. Yes it could be drive, but I going with engine,
I have rebuld may of these drives, and seen bad bearings, and engine never stalled, because of HP

Steve

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've got a single lever Quicksilver shifter/throttle. If I push the button on the side it allows me to throttle up in neutral, and the engine seems to rev just fine. It only dies when I go to shift into gear, and it happens when I try forward or reverse. It does seem stiff when I try to shift though. Maybe it's not the lower cable or the engine, perhaps I just need a new shift lever? How will I be able to tell, if I open up my shifter, if it's worn in there? Thanks again for the replies....Dan

The neutral safety switch will not allow the motor to turn over when in forward or reverse. It has no function once the motor is running.......It is there so you can not turn the engine over when IN GEAR.

You have EFI, what Steve is refering to is possibly one of the on engine controls, (IA) is a small motor that controls idle air (IA) function.

EFI is not a typical boat owners friend so let an expert look into it, one with the propper test equipment!

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it to our local Mercruiser shop. I hate doing that because they usually soak you for it, but they are the only game in town. If anyone is a reputable marine mechanic and wants to open a shop in Ketchikan Alaska, you would have more business than you could shake a stick at.

Before you take it to the shop now that we are finished with the neutral safety/shift interrupt confusion. When you start the engine what rpm does it idle at?
Can you hear what sounds like a large vacuum leak while it is running at idle? Does that vacuum leak sound pulse or is it steady? Does the sound lessen when you open the throttle slightly? If you bring the rpms up to about 2500 and back down quickly does the engine stall?
IAC motors go bad quite often and may be the only problem as stated above. If this is the problem you can change it on your own.

Last edited:
Update: I had no error codes on the engine when I plugged the computer in. I reset the IAC, but nothing changed. Am going to change it out with a new one, but have one question. I can't tell from the diagrams I've been able to find, but is the IAC motor attatched to the outside bottom of the throttle body, or is it located inside the throttle body? Thanks for the help...Dan.

Update: I switched out the IAC motor today. Engine started up fine and idled right where it's supposed to. Shifted in and out of gear just fine. Getting dumped in the water tomorrow, and hopefully catching big King Salmon by the weekend. Thanks for all the input everyone!....Dan

Back