Logo

50 hp vs 75 hp

Gates

Hey guys. For about a year now I have been debating on upgrading my 2009 50 hp merc. It runs great but I need a little more power to get my boat out of the water when there are 4 of us in my boat. The max hp for it is a 75. Is there really that big of a difference between the two or am I just wasting my money on maybe 3 or 4 mph more. I have been looking daily for a used one with no luck so I will have to buy new. A little help would be nice from someone that knows these two engines. Thanks.

Yes there will be quite a bit of difference between the 2 engines. Worth the money to upgrade

Thank you so much for the reply. Now I just have to decide if I get the new light weight model (2014 and newer) or the old model that it a little over 40 lbs heavier. There are still dealers I have found that have 2010 75 hp new in box. They just are not giving that great of a deal on them. Not sure how well the new models are holding up.

four adults in a boat that's rated for a 75 max that pops up on a plane may over rev at wot with a lighter load..be careful...a 2cycle would be a better choice in my opinion but the same thing applies...

I ran a 50 merc 2 cycle in the early to mid 70's hauling a family to a houseboat 12 miles from the launch...used a 15 inch prop...would plane but not pop up...the 15 prop would not over rev with a light load but would push it ...ran a 17 inch when the trips were without family...

There would be a couple of advantages of going from a 50 to a 75.

You are moving up your horsepower by 50% so at the very top end you should see about a 15% increase in top speed - so if you were say barely making 30 mph you would move up to maybe 35 mph - now that may not sound too impressive, but on the water that is "significant".

More importantly you would be increasing the "displacement" of the motor you have. That will translate into way better torque in the low end. It will get "going" better/faster, up on plane "easier/faster" - better if you pull a tube or skier.

And if the water turns nasty being able to make 5 more mph to get yourself to safety is never a bad thing.

A 50 horse on a boat rated for 75 is "under horsed" - often sold that way in a package to keep the price attractive. You should always fit a motor that is "minimally" 80% of the max recommended for the boat to operate "as designed" (at least in models 21' or shorter), in your case a 60 would have been the "minimum".

Last edited:
I bought my boat used knowing I needed to upgrade but did not know it was going to be so hard to find one at a decent price. A little harder than I though to find the right prop also. I think currently I can get a little over 35 mph now. I just have to get my kids to sit upfront when there are with me so I can plain. I'm almost sure the best prop is on my boat now. The revs are perfect with two to 4 people in boat just need a little more power to get up. Thanks for all the replies. I think I will keep looking for an upgrade as I think buying new might be too much for a 2009 boat.

Thanks for all the replies. I have found a two year old 75 hp but it is an 8.5 hour drive one way to get it. I have plans on going to get it next weekend. They are selling it for less than half the price of a new one. Hope all is well with it. Thanks.

Back