Logo

50 hp Evinrude drive shaft seal question...

cjbrill715

Regular Contributor
I have a 1984 50 hp Evinrude that i'm currently doing a complete re-seal in the lower unit on, and what i'm wondering about is the Sierra kit. The upper shaft/ drive shaft that goes to the powerhead has a housing just above the bearing that has 2 shaft seals back to back, one is green colored, the other is plain/uncoated metal. They appear to be the same size, just wondering why one is colored and the other not??

I put the coated seal out towards the water, uncoated towards the bearing, but sometimes don't see this.

cjb----Examine these seals closely.-----Are they EXACTLY the same or not ???----Most know that the lower units 2 cylinder / 3 cylinder / 4 cylinder / 6 cylinder used 2 identical seals in the early years.-----Then the seal directly below the water pump was changed.----The rubber portion was slightly proud of the metal portion.----Look the same and same dimension for shaft and bore but a different seal !

cjb----Examine these seals closely.-----Are they EXACTLY the same or not ???----Most know that the lower units 2 cylinder / 3 cylinder / 4 cylinder / 6 cylinder used 2 identical seals in the early years.-----Then the seal directly below the water pump was changed.----The rubber portion was slightly proud of the metal portion.----Look the same and same dimension for shaft and bore but a different seal ![/QUOTE

I have already assembled it...it was something I thought of afterword unfortunately. However, in the schematic/part diagram for this particular motor, both seals were the same part number....does that mean they are the same?

They should be the same, but different manufacturers or perhaps even just another manufacturing run. I really believe they will serve the same purpose.

Back