Logo

5.7 rebuild

b4240

I am going to have to rebuild our 5.7gxi (350). :( Any great tips I need to know.
We are buying a 350 rebuild kit rather than going through Volvo.
Does anyone know if you can upsize without hurting the outdrive?
Thanks,

What's the reason for the rebuild? What year and how many hours on the engine? I have the same motor 2002 5.7 GXi with 1000 hours and it started using oil.:eek:

Excellent to hear that! Now is an oportunity to build one correctly!
I'd go with a Q/E piston that offers the correct C/R, and build yourself a good Marine engine.
There are an array of well known manufacturers out there who can provide you with a Low Comp Q/E, or D Dished, or ??? piston that will work much better than the dreaded fully dished piston!!!! :mad:
Yes, the Fully Dished piston that should have NEVER made it's way into the marine world in the first place! :rolleyes:
(This is just so wrong, IMO.... but GM does this as a cost factor!)

Do a search for a "Low Compression Quench Effect", or a "Reverse Dome", or a "D dished" pistons.

Keep your C/R down to OEM specs.
Stay with the OEM camshaft, or one that meets the marine requirememts regarding over-lap, etc, so you will not risk water reversion, bla bla bla bla.... bla!

You may also want to Beg, Borrow or Steal a copy of Dennis Moore's "Small Block Chevy Marine Performance" and read it.
images

Dennis has done years of research regarding a properly built SBC Marine engine, and includes this data in his book.

NO.... you will not hurt your drive with the added torque!

If all you want is more power, and if this engine is good, why not install the Duo Prop?
Better Bang for the Buck!

Last edited:
What's the reason for the rebuild? What year and how many hours on the engine? I have the same motor 2002 5.7 GXi with 1000 hours and it started using oil.:eek:

Poor winterizing. :( This was a 2006.
Burned a valve and hit piston, (2) freezeplugs out, top end got way too hot.

Excellent to hear that! Now is an oportunity to build one correctly!
I'd go with a Q/E piston that offers the correct C/R, and build yourself a good Marine engine.

Thanks for the tips, I will look into that. I will try and find the book also.
We do actually have the Duoprop outdrive mated to the 5.7gxi engine.

Back